Official Review: The Truth in Hope by R.A. Simpson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The Truth in Hope by R.A. Simpson

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Truth in Hope" by R.A. Simpson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bryce Wilkerson was brought to trial for sexual misconduct with a ten-year-old female named Hope. The case ended in a mistrial after his wealthy father bribed a juror to declare him not guilty. Shortly afterward, Bryce was assassinated; a dead fish and a picture of Hope were left with his body. It soon became apparent that multiple people would love to see Bryce dead, but who actually murdered him? Detective Bennett Coleman must discover and examine all the evidence to find the perpetrator.

The Truth in Hope by R.A. Simpson is an intriguing 375-page crime novel written from the third-person point of view. There are 32 chapters, each with a title that gives a clue as to what the chapter is about. An epilogue concludes the book with answers to all the remaining questions.

The author has a 45-year history as a criminal trial lawyer. His book showcases his experience in this area; the step-by-step process that detectives take to find evidence to ensure the guilty person is brought to trial and convicted is shown. This sometimes means laying a trap for that person. Therefore, it is not only informative but also very realistic.

The writing is simple and easily understood by the general audience. The suspects are introduced to us early on, although not all the reasons are identified right away. We are misled occasionally, making it difficult to know for sure who the murderer is and, therefore, helping to concoct an excellent mystery.

Sexual abuse, along with the mental problems it causes, comprises a significant aspect of the plot. The descriptions are not terribly graphic but could possibly trigger some victims. However, I suspect most will appreciate the attention that the author is bringing to the mental trauma that remains after abuse occurs.

The book jumps into the action in the first chapter when Bryce is slain and easily gets the reader’s attention. The story slowed after that as the backgrounds of different characters were being disclosed. Unfortunately, unimportant details in the book dragged the story down more than was needed. A lot of these could easily be done away with. An example is a description of how one suspect started his day, including the step-by-step route he would take to work. This went on for a page and a half and did not add anything significant to the plot. The second half of the tale was better, but some unnecessary details still could have been shortened or omitted, which would make it more captivating.

Because of this, The Truth in Hope achieves a rating of three out of four stars. This was an excellent mystery, and I enjoyed trying to figure out who the murderer was. Subsequently, it deserves better than two stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who enjoy crime dramas and mysteries. People who prefer to avoid obscenities need to be aware there are definite profanities encountered in this book; however, this most likely represents true-life situations.

The Truth in Hope
View: on Bookshelves
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

This is usually what we see in our judicial sector in society today. The wealthy goes free from accusations.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Insightful and detailed review! I also don't like it when an author dwells on too much details that don't add much to the plot. Thanks for the amazing review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love a good mystery, so I would love to read the book myself. Thank you for this great review and recommendation!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Reviewer100 wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 02:01 This is usually what we see in our judicial sector in society today. The wealthy goes free from accusations.
Unfortunately, that is true much too often. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 02:52 Insightful and detailed review! I also don't like it when an author dwells on too much details that don't add much to the plot. Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks so much for the comments. I appreciate them!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime thriller that's a bit burdened by all the details. Possibly a professional editor might help the author in "cleaning" the novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 08:47 I love a good mystery, so I would love to read the book myself. Thank you for this great review and recommendation!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 11:06 This seems like an intriguing crime thriller that's a bit burdened by all the details. Possibly a professional editor might help the author in "cleaning" the novel. Thank you for your great review!
It definitely couldn't hurt, although there were only a few grammatical and punctuation errors. Thanks for the comments, NetMassimo!
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

I think this would be a great read. The detectives must have a lot on their plates identifying the mystery killer. And your review is lovely.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. I love crime novels and would be very interested in the process detectives take to solve crimes.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

WOW! This books seems worth reading. I’m curious to know who killed Bryce. Thanks for your engaging review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Excel 2021 wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 09:28 I think this would be a great read. The detectives must have a lot on their plates identifying the mystery killer. And your review is lovely.
It was, indeed! I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and leaving a comment!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mvictoria wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 16:39 This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. I love crime novels and would be very interested in the process detectives take to solve crimes.
Then this is the book for you! I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 02:09 WOW! This books seems worth reading. I’m curious to know who killed Bryce. Thanks for your engaging review!
I hope you get to read it to find out as I don't think you will be disappointed! Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”