Official Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Official Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Ray" by Tom King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death Ray by Tom King is a war and military fiction book. Nathan Cox narrates the audio version of this book.

The main protagonist of this book is Mark Bronson. He is a high-tech engineer who, while working in a lab, discovers a death ray. In his previous job, they blacklisted him in Silicon Valley regarding his interference in a harassment case. Mark’s discovery of death ray leads to an extensive amount of stress and dissolvent of his relationship with his girlfriend, Sarah. What follows is the story of espionage, filled with action, government contracts, new love interest, pressure from various sources, and power politics games.

I listen to this book on audio. The narrator did an excellent job with it. I couldn’t find any issues with the quality of the audiobook. The production and editing are exceptional. There weren’t any grammatical errors, as far as I could tell.

There are a lot of instances where a reader needs to have a suspension of disbelief. But considering the topics of this book, that is not unreasonable. After all, those situations didn’t distract me from the narrative, but they are noticeable. The cohesiveness of the story suffers because of the pace and time frame of the plotline. Nevertheless, that is something that will impact each reader. Some might dislike it, whereas others won’t.

I like the pace of this book. The storyline moves fast, but the reader never losses the point of the story. It is not a book saturated with unnecessary explanations and an abundance of characters. It is a book written from the first point of view. Mark’s voice is distinguished and sarcastic, which made the reading experience much more enjoyable. That is my favorite thing about this book.

I would recommend this book to all readers of crime, military, and war stories. If you enjoy fast-paced books, then this is a book for you. However, there are some similarities to one Twitter prune USA president that might bother his supporters. The author never addresses him by his name, but one can surmise who was the character's inspiration. Others might pick this book solely for that reason. There are none details with explicit or gruesome scenes, and this book is suitable for all age groups. Except for children, of course. Naturally, younger readers might find these subjects tedious and incomprehensible.

I debated on how to rate this book. There is nothing I disliked about the book. However, it is not an unforgettable read. Considering that my debate is purely subjective, I must rate this book with four out of four stars. Furthermore, the lower rating is not justified.

Death Ray
View: on Bookshelves
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Mokhantso Letsela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mokhantso-letsela.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT: Mastering AI Conversations for Beginners by Malcolm Oppenheimer

Post by Mokhantso Letsela »

I love military stories. And I love war stories so I'm going to give this book a read! Thanks for the review. I wonder how I hadn't come across this book before.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing military fiction with a thrilling story that mixes cutting-edge technological advancements, espionage, political scheming, and more. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

Mark seems to be an inventor by nature. I loved his attributes in this book.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Monalisa626 wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 01:26 I love military stories. And I love war stories so I'm going to give this book a read! Thanks for the review. I wonder how I hadn't come across this book before.
I hope you enjoy it!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

NetMassimo wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 07:44 This seems an intriguing military fiction with a thrilling story that mixes cutting-edge technological advancements, espionage, political scheming, and more. Thank you for your great review!
Yeah, you summarized it quite well. Thank you for stopping by and reading.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Reviewer100 wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 08:09 Mark seems to be an inventor by nature. I loved his attributes in this book.
Yeah, he definitely was an entertaining protagonist.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your engaging review. I am not keen on politics, so the matter with the US president is neither appealing nor disturbing to me, And since I'm interested in war stories, I think this book will be an enjoyable read for me.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like an interesting book, and the theme is appealing. Thank you for your recommendation, and great job with the review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sou Hi wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 22:00 Thanks for your engaging review. I am not keen on politics, so the matter with the US president is neither appealing nor disturbing to me, And since I'm interested in war stories, I think this book will be an enjoyable read for me.
I hope you enjoy it too. If you like audiobooks It might be a great way to listen to it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 16:20 It seems like an interesting book, and the theme is appealing. Thank you for your recommendation, and great job with the review!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it too. Happy reading!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. It seems Mark Bronson's discovery of the death ray will land him in some troubles and even dangers.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a thrilling story about a young man who invents a death ray and his life after that. Congratulations BOTD!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I did not get into the character of Mark, the protagonist in this story. Criminal war stories with a political bias do not capture my interest for long. Thanks for the concise review on this book.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Although today's BOTD isn't the one for me, readers who enjoy fast-paced novels about crime, military, and war will want to give it a try. It is well-written, and the audiobook is professionally narrated with little to no errors. Thank you for your thorough review!! I appreciate it! :-)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”