Review by Miranda King -- The Silence of Ray

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miranda King
Currently Reading: Hunted
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miranda-king.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by Miranda King -- The Silence of Ray

Post by Miranda King »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Silence of Ray" by Karen Fletcher.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ray, a young boy with Autism alongside his family trying to understand his new diagnosis. How to cope with these behaviors? Not speaking? How is his family going to handle this? The creation of their support system deepens their love for one another and their love for Ray. Embedded within are the stories of Raymond exploring the world around him and his family along for the ride. From running, to swimming, to basketball. Church, school, and the great beyond. Nothing is to much for Ray’s kind and loving heart.

Throughout reading Karen Yvette Renee Taylor-Fletcher’s The Silence of Ray I greatly appreciated the heartwarming stories as well as the struggles that the family endured as well. I did like that it was from the mom’s perspective as having a child with a disability is nothing anyone is ever prepared for and her reflections are honest.

In rating the book I would give this book 1 out of 4. Near the beginning it is stated, “...the DPT shot must have been the cause [of his autism].” (pg. 13). That misinformation is further spreading more misinformation. Throughout the book there are multiple “Did You Know” sections within the reading that do not have cited sources. These “Did You Know sections” have information that as a reader I am wondering if that is accurate and where I can find it. Working in a high school, citing your sources is vital. Even here I have to cite where I am pulling information from in the book I read.

Throughout the reading there are also terms such as “mentally incapable” (pg 53) used to descibe Ray. As a special educator myself this is extraoridnaily painful to read. Moving away from misinformation provided and terminology, the reading itself was very jumpy and the short stories did not allow for the reader to feel truly connected to Ray as each story is 4-5 sentences tops.

As a special educator, I was really looking forward to reading The Silence of Ray. I was hopeful in the potential it could have had with parents and families who have kids with disabilities, specifically Autism. I think if language is revised and updated,, such as cognitively impaired and stories are expanded it has the potential to reach readers such as families struggling with understanding how beautiful Autism can be. Autism is so multi layered and so many layers are explored, it could really help in healing families coping with their kids who have been diagnosed with Autism.

The Silence of Ray
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”