Review by Nqobile771 -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review by Nqobile771 -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Vanished by Pejay Bradley is set in Korea during the twentieth century. During this time, the Japanese had taken over Korea and oppressed its people. The Koreans were enslaved and stripped of their identity and dignity. Faced with the decision to adapt to the new reality or take up arms and fight, the Koreans chose the latter.

The novel begins by introducing us to Lady Sougyon, a daughter of Prince Ansoon. Lady Sougyon was married to Hob, who became an estranged husband soon after their wedding day. Out of her marriage with Hob, Embon was born. Embon was a smart student who always achieved excellent grades. Because of his outstanding performance at school, he was promoted several times and moved to the next level. His high marks saw him secure a spot at a prestigious Japanese university where he met two friends who ignited his patriotism spirit. Although Embon lived a comfortable life and went to the best schools, he was not oblivious to the injustices suffered by his people at the hands of the Japanese.

Embon, together with his fellow countrymen found himself in China as part of an underground movement that was working to overthrow the Japanese government. In their endeavor to regain independence from Japan, blood was spilled, and lives were lost. Were lives lost in vain, or did Korea finally gain its independence? I will leave this detail for the reader to find out.

The characters were well developed and contributed meaningfully towards the storyline, no matter how small their roles were. The Korean's fighting spirit and their loyalty to their country, culture, and customs shined through the pages. They were willing to sacrifice themselves and fought with all their might to free themselves from the clutches of a devious slave master who had stripped them of their culture and dignity.

The language used in the book was pleasant, as I did not come across any profane words. The book does not contain sexual content, making it suitable for young and old readers. I recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction and those who would like to learn more about the history of Koreans.

The book contains elements of violence, but it is not gruesome or overly detailed. The book cover is aesthetically pleasing, and I found the color coordination to be exquisite. The events were arranged chronologically, making the book a smooth read as it flowed seamlessly from one chapter to the next. I also liked the author's skillful display of the lives of Koreans under Japanese rule.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. I only came across a handful of errors throughout the book, giving me the impression that the book was professionally edited. The storyline was not only educational, but it was also captivating and skillfully crafted. The book exposed me to Korean cuisines, traditions, and customs. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and am delighted to award it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I agree with you. The historical events added beauty to the entire novel. Enjoyed reading your insightful review.
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

My curiosity about Embon is spiked at this moment. Did they finally overthrow the chinese government and how?. I guess I’ll have to read the book to find out. Nice review
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

A historical fiction regarding Korean struggle against Japan. Sounds interesting. Nice review. Thanks
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

You did a great job of summarizing the book. Seems like a meaningful piece written eloquently. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I love it when I see some citizen that a great patriots. This is a great book that will educate the reader on history. Great review.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Wow! Who would have thought that this book had such an outstanding content. The author needs to find a much more expressive cover for this book. Great review, Nqobile!
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It it a great book that can be very educational about history. I agree with your perspective on the events, and I congratulate you for this great review!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

For me, Reading The Vanished was everything entertaining. Great review.
Currently Reading:

Bookishkrish24 wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 01:50 I agree with you. The historical events added beauty to the entire novel. Enjoyed reading your insightful review.
Thanks for sharing taking the time to read the review! :tiphat:
Currently Reading:

MayorE wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 08:42 My curiosity about Embon is spiked at this moment. Did they finally overthrow the chinese government and how?. I guess I’ll have to read the book to find out. Nice review
If you do get to read the book, I hope you will enjoy it. I will not divulge much and spoil it for you :techie-studyinggray:
Currently Reading:

OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 09:00 A historical fiction regarding Korean struggle against Japan. Sounds interesting. Nice review. Thanks
It was an interesting read. Thanks for taking the time to read the review and leave a comment!
Currently Reading:

SamaylaM wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 09:09 You did a great job of summarizing the book. Seems like a meaningful piece written eloquently. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thanks for taking the time to read the review Samayla! I appreciate your participation
Currently Reading:

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 10:16 I love it when I see some citizen that a great patriots. This is a great book that will educate the reader on history. Great review.
Definitely rich in Korean history. Thanks for taking the time to read the review Chigo!
Currently Reading:

Ayindelaw wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 07:39 Wow! Who would have thought that this book had such an outstanding content. The author needs to find a much more expressive cover for this book. Great review, Nqobile!
I loved the cover image, especially the coordination of colors. However, I feel the title doesn't do the book justice. You're quite analytical, I like that!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”