Review by Sararob06 -- House of Eire by June Gillam

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by Sararob06 -- House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Sararob06 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "House of Eire" by June Gillam.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ireland is a country with a rich history and a fierce pride. The beautiful scenery and folklore make it a popular tourist destination but like everywhere else, there are dark moments that some locals would prefer to keep hidden. House of Eire by June Gilliam follows a disgraced writer of Irish descent and her family on a trip of a lifetime to Ireland. Hillary Broome, her husband Ed, daughter Claire, and motherly figure Sarah, live a quiet life in the San Joaquin Valley of California. Hillary’s desire to find answers to some family secrets encourages her to pack up her family and visit a close friend, Bridget. What awaits Hillary in Ireland is mystery and the unfortunate truth that some people would prefer to let some history remain buried.

This story is a slow burn. The first half of this novel, which is relatively short at 264 pages, is mostly setting the stage for the twists and turns to come. The second half is packed with mystery, murder, and some Irish history. One of the things I liked the most about this book is that while the story is fiction, the historical references were not.

This novel is the third in the series but can be a standalone. I did not read the other two books and did not feel it detracted from my experience. The language was clean for the most part with only a few profanities. There are no instances of graphic violence or erotic scenes. There is mention of cannibalism during the Great Famine although it is not graphic, and the references serve a greater purpose in the story. I found the book to be professionally edited with only one minor error.

There was only one thing that I did not like about this book. While the first half of the book built the story and characters, I felt the second half was rushed. A lot of adventure and mystery takes place in the second half and I felt that the ending did not deliver. The twist at the end did not feel authentic to the characters and left me with questions.

I would recommend this book to lovers of adventure or mystery. I find it suitable for anyone although I would caution readers about the cannibalism references and there is some anti-British sentiment. I give this book three out of four stars. My disappointment in the ending is why I removed a star but its possible some lingering questions were answered in the book that came after it.

House of Eire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your honesty. I also dislike books with a rushed ending. The author could have expanded the book to deliver the plot properly.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I've been contemplating reading this book. I might just give it a chance despite its rushed ending. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Sararob06

Post by Sararob06 »

Sou Hi wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 02:25 Thanks for your honesty. I also dislike books with a rushed ending. The author could have expanded the book to deliver the plot properly.
I found it to be frustrating because it was off to a good start.
Sararob06

Post by Sararob06 »

Nqobile771 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 03:27 I've been contemplating reading this book. I might just give it a chance despite its rushed ending. Great review.
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A murder mystery with some Irish history sounds intriguing. It’s a pity, though, that the ending felt rushed. Great review!
Sararob06

Post by Sararob06 »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 18:36 A murder mystery with some Irish history sounds intriguing. It’s a pity, though, that the ending felt rushed. Great review!
Thank you! Yes, it was a disappointment but still a fun read.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

A syspence thriller set in Ireland. I have read some novels set in Ireland against the backdrop of Irish struggle for Independance by Gerald Seymour.This novel must be a good one to read. Thank you for the detailed review!
Sararob06

Post by Sararob06 »

DANAWEB wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 13:19 A syspence thriller set in Ireland. I have read some novels set in Ireland against the backdrop of Irish struggle for Independance by Gerald Seymour.This novel must be a good one to read. Thank you for the detailed review!
Thank you for your kind comment! I will have to check out Seymour’s work.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Such an interesting book. I hope Hillary finds out what she yearns for. Great review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

I've read this book already. It is well-written and very interesting. However, thanks for your review. It's well-written too.
Sararob06

Post by Sararob06 »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 00:42 Such an interesting book. I hope Hillary finds out what she yearns for. Great review.
I think you’d need to read the rest of the series to see if Hillary is successful.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love a good book about adventure and magic, and the Ireland setting makes it even more appealing. Great job with the review!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

To be honest, I don't like it when books are rushed. However, it is worthy to note that your review is well written. Great job.
Sararob06

Post by Sararob06 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 03:59 I love a good book about adventure and magic, and the Ireland setting makes it even more appealing. Great job with the review!
Thanks for your kind comment! I think the setting gave the story a unique feel.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”