Review by Honest-reviewer -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Review by Honest-reviewer -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One...

Post by Honest-reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden is a romantic historical novel written by Londyn Skye. The story revolves around Lily, a slave, and her master’s son James, who is also her best friend. This story is set in the 1800s.

Lily is separated from her mother when she was merely nine years old and is sold in an auction to a white man named Jesse Adams. From then on, Lily is a slave at Jesse’s house who is confined only to the household jobs. Like any other slave, Lily is also harshly treated and humiliated by her master. But then she meets a boy named James, who befriends her and makes her feel like a human again. Later, James’ father, Jesse, pressurizes him to go against Lily and demands him to treat her like a slave and nothing else. Six years later, when James returns home after completing his education, he sees Lily playing his mother’s piano. He gets furious and decides to punish her. But little does Lily know that this punishment is going to change her life forever! So, what do you think is the punishment going to be? Will James show some mercy on his former friend? Well, you will have to read this book to get your answers.

The Prodigy Slave is the first of the three books in this series. The book is around 470 pages long with 23 chapters. This novel realistically depicts the life of the slaves and their misery. The author has done an excellent job of weaving the characters and their feelings. I admire the writing style of the author and the words chosen by her that wonderfully describe the scenes and emotions.

I am captivated by the strength and will power of Lily. Despite all odds, she always manages to be lively and cheerful. Her music talent is highly admirable. She perfectly shows how one can be happy even when things are going wrong. She also shows how important it is to cherish small moments in life and be content. One of the best parts of the book is that the slave codes are mentioned at the beginning of every chapter which helps the readers know more about slavery. Though this novel lies in the romance genre, It is no less than a thriller. The author has created a perfect balance between romance, drama, and suspense. This book is truly a page-turner.

There is nothing major that I disliked about this book. However, the cover page of the book was not quite appealing to me. I do not like to see the picture of the characters as I prefer imagining them based on the author’s description. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this book. It seems to be well-edited as I did not find any errors while reading. With that being said, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I highly recommend this book to mature audiences who want to read something romantic and intriguing. This book contains profanity and non-graphical erotic scenes that are not suitable for young readers.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing, but the other elements of the books seem interesting, also in the depiction of a dark side of humanity that still exists in some part of the world from the victims' point of view. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I enjoyed reading your review as it is both detailed and insightful. Nevertheless, I will be skipping this one as it is not my kind of book.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

This book seems interesting, because of the suspense element added to the romance and drama. The author's views of the time period is also appealing. Thanks for a great review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I agree about my image of the character's not always matching their description by the author. It's sometimes a huge disconnect for me while reading. The book's plot seems interesting, and I'm curious to know how James's 'punishment' plays out in Lily's life. Thanks for the insightful review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book seems so interesting, I'm curious to know what became of Lily and James. Thanks for a great review.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I wonder how easy it is for some people to throw away old friends. I hope James isn't that type. Thanks for the honest review.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

There's only one word for a book of this nature, amazing! Your review makes me want to grab the book immediately, the only thing holding me back is the erotic scenes, which I'm not a big fan of. But otherwise, this sounds like a great book to get lost in. I do want to know what her punishment is, so I'll likely try it.
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The author must have put in lots of effort in researching the life of slaves for this book. Thanks for the great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It is hard to be cheerful when you are living such a hard life, and I have always appreciate people who can do that. I enjoyed reading your thorough review, so that you for your recommendation!
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I've seen so many rave reviews of this book already. I had to check out the author. I can't help but think that she weaved some elements of herself into the story. Nice one, Honest reviewer!
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

To bring love story around the dark times such as slavery era is something I found intriguing when reading this book. Thank your for the beautiful review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Lilly's character seems really interesting. I wish to find out more about her and James. Your review is quite insightful.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

I really like Lilly, her character sounds relatable. The book sounds like it was an enjoyable read.
Great Review
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Well, judging from the cover image, it looks like Lily and James will end up in a forbidden romantic relationship. While the concept of the story isn't a new one, it does seem entertaining.
:romance-interracial:

Thank you for your enthusiastic review.
😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”