Review by Claire Vaal -- The Arrow That Flies By Day

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Review by Claire Vaal -- The Arrow That Flies By Day

Post by Claire Vaal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Arrow That Flies By Day" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Arrow That Flies By Day is a Christian novel about a guy named John Thaddeus. John is a former Marine who is looking for a way to distract him from the scary memories during war, preferably playing for the NFL. During his time serving in the Marines, he found out his mom had died. His father had passed before he left, so he didn't have any family when he came home. He did have Sister Francis, a nun, who was his old principal. She had supported him through so much. John wanted to play football all the way through high school, but an injury kept him from doing that. When his dad was alive, he taught him how to be a kicker. John had worked on strengthening his leg all of his life. Now is his time to shine. Can a walk-in who hasn't played college football really play for the NFL though? This inspiring, heart-wrenching, and touching book is one that no one should turn down.

There were many things about this book that I loved. The overall message, the plot, and how the author developed the main character were definitely some positive aspects to this book. The overall message really stood out to me. Determination, faith, and prayer were some things that were mentioned. It really went into depth with all of those, and I think the author, John Servant, really did a good job with that. The plot was also very intriguing. I don't really like football books, but this wasn't just about football. It was full of interesting stories about John Thaddeus, and I never wanted to put the book down. The main character and how he was developed was also very well done. It talked about many of his struggles, along with his successes and determination in becoming a football player. But more importantly, it talked about his faith in God.

I personally didn't have many things I disliked about this book, but I do wish the book was longer. It is a very short book; it's less than 100 pages. Because this was such an amazing book, I wish I had more to read. Other than that, I thought this book was almost perfect.

My rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. I really couldn't find many things I disliked about this novel. I don't want to rate it a three because if I can barely find 1 negative, I think it should get a perfect score. It was a very enjoyable book to read, and it made me want to read all the time. Also, it only had a couple of errors, and both were minor.

I highly recommend you read this book. It is a Christian novel, so keep that in mind before you read it. If you like books that go into depth about faith, prayer, and makes you think, this book is for you. This book really puts things in perspective, and it has many lessons in it. Although I haven't read many Christian novels, this one is for sure in my top two. If you're not sure if you would like it, I would tell you to at least give it a chance!

The Arrow That Flies By Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I really like your review. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. This book is going to be a source of motivation for many readers. Fantastic review!
Claire Vaal

Post by Claire Vaal »

AtienoMagero wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 10:25 I really like your review. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. This book is going to be a source of motivation for many readers. Fantastic review!
Thank you! I’m new to the review team so I appreciate the compliment!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a lovely read with a positive message. Great review!
Claire Vaal

Post by Claire Vaal »

unamilagra wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 00:35 This sounds like a lovely read with a positive message. Great review!
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to read it :D
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

An interesting sounding book and a compelling review. I wouldn't usually read books about football but it seems this could be an exception if it does not solely focus on the sport.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book sounds amazing! I was so glad that your mentioned that the book doesn't only talk about football, but that it is more about John's experiences. John overcame his heartbreak and followed his dream. Thanks for your compelling recommendation!
Claire Vaal

Post by Claire Vaal »

kdstrack wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 11:26 This book sounds amazing! I was so glad that your mentioned that the book doesn't only talk about football, but that it is more about John's experiences. John overcame his heartbreak and followed his dream. Thanks for your compelling recommendation!
Victoria Copsey wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 08:58 An interesting sounding book and a compelling review. I wouldn't usually read books about football but it seems this could be an exception if it does not solely focus on the sport.
Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it. And yes, I felt like this book was much more than football.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

Claire Vaal wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 15:49
AtienoMagero wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 10:25 I really like your review. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. This book is going to be a source of motivation for many readers. Fantastic review!
Thank you! I’m new to the review team so I appreciate the compliment!
I read your review and it's really nice for a newbie. I believe you would go far in the review team. Keep it up.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Claire Vaal

Post by Claire Vaal »

@Viczboy16 Thank you so much! That means a lot. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your engaging review. I like to read books about those who can overcome their own defects and hardships to shine. Still, I'm not really into religious books, as I'm an atheist.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for such a beautiful review, I will definitely check it out.
Claire Vaal

Post by Claire Vaal »

Sou Hi wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 02:18 Thanks for your engaging review. I like to read books about those who can overcome their own defects and hardships to shine. Still, I'm not really into religious books, as I'm an atheist.
I’m glad you like my review! I totally understand you not wanting to read it though :D
Claire Vaal

Post by Claire Vaal »

Mtibza eM wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 02:45 Thank you for such a beautiful review, I will definitely check it out.
I’m glad you liked it! Hopefully you love the book as much as I did. Thanks for taking the time to comment :techie-reference:
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Christianity and military seems like an odd association. Thank you for your interesting review and your recommendation!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”