Official Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Official Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reality Games" by Tom Reissmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann is a science fiction novel that explores the nature of our reality. In 2061, the developments in artificial intelligence enabled humanity to solve many problems, from climate change to the fight against diseases. However, there are nations where people felt that artificial intelligence might end up enslaving humans, so they formed a coalition where that kind of technology got banned. World peace is threatened when mysterious incidents involving vehicles driven by artificial intelligence start happening. History professor Max Wheeler is contacted by a leader of the anti-AI faction who wants to convince him that what we think is reality is a simulation.

The idea that what we perceive as our reality might be a simulation or some other kind of illusion has become quite common in science fiction. It was a central theme in many works written by Philip K. Dick. It became very popular after the release of the movie The Matrix and its sequels. This hypothesis even led to scientific research to try to find evidence to prove it or disprove it.

This novel explores the idea that our universe might be a simulation in the story of a history professor who finds himself at the center of events that have global repercussions. Max Wheeler isn't involved in politics, but he's a bit of a star as his lectures are watched by millions of people in virtual reality around the world. His wife believed that our universe is a simulation and, when she took her own life, it was considered the consequence of her mental unbalance. Max had a synthetic, an android that appears very similar to a human, created to mimic his wife's personality. That led their daughter, Olivia, to turn against him.

The story's developments are rooted in quantum physics. Some concepts are explained in simple terms as they get explained to characters who are not scientists such as Max Wheeler, so readers don't need to have a deep knowledge in this field to read this novel. Some concepts are more philosophical, some others are explained as part of some kind of game.

The explanations of bits of quantum physics to characters who are not scientists is a way to enable the readers to understand those concepts. However, I have to say that the one thing I didn't like about this novel is that sometimes I think there was too much exposition to explain quantum phenomena. I think some explanations became overlong going beyond the phenomena included in the novel's plot.

My complaint is a minor one as I found most of the book intriguing and thought-provoking. Reflections are offered through the characters about the nature of reality, the nature of consciousness, artificial intelligence, and more. In part they're based on scientific research, others are more philosophical, including the ones concerning the nature of the human mind. The plot includes action, but its strongest part is in the food for thought it offers. That's what I liked the most about this novel because it mixes science, philosophy, and fiction in a way I found stimulating and balanced. Its protagonists offer a variety of points of view, with diverse ideas and choices.

The novel includes many instances of profanity and mentions of sexual activities. Also considering the complexity of its themes, it seems suitable for adult readers. It's professionally edited as I found only a couple of errors. It has a plot full of twists, and I found the themes stimulating. For these reasons, I'm happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you're looking for a novel about the nature of reality and humanity that also shows a possible future for the world, The Reality Games is a must-read.

The Reality Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

I used to think that future was complete nonsense but seeing today’s world of Alexas and Siris, it doesn’t feel impossible anymore! This sounds like a really interesting read. Thanks for the detailed review!
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

Indeed the story sounds complex but interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of science fiction and the likes of it. A very love and detailed review though
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

Indeed the story sounds complex but interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of science fiction and the likes of it. A very love and detailed review though
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

amrinzaeda wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 09:49 I used to think that future was complete nonsense but seeing today’s world of Alexas and Siris, it doesn’t feel impossible anymore! This sounds like a really interesting read. Thanks for the detailed review!
Artificial intelligence is just in its first phase of development, in the future we might have leaps forward. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

MayorE wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 11:02 Indeed the story sounds complex but interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of science fiction and the likes of it. A very love and detailed review though
In the end, it's a matter of taste. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

I love reading books on AI, and this book seems to provide such platform. I will read this book if I'm opportuned to. Amazing review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Fabulous mind wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 15:43 I love reading books on AI, and this book seems to provide such platform. I will read this book if I'm opportuned to. Amazing review.
AI is indeed an important theme in this novel. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like some provocative and insightful sci-fi novels. I would like to read to know how world peace is threatened by AI. Thanks for the captivating review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Slater678 wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 11:56 I like some provocative and insightful sci-fi novels. I would like to read to know how world peace is threatened by AI. Thanks for the captivating review.
This novel is all of you want and even more. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

Max Wheeler must have had a hard time dealing with all that. His wife committing suicide and the daughter going against him is very heart aching. He seems to be very innovative though. Great review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Tarilan wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 00:22 Max Wheeler must have had a hard time dealing with all that. His wife committing suicide and the daughter going against him is very heart aching. He seems to be very innovative though. Great review!
It was a tough time indeed for Max Wheeler, and that made his "mission" even more complicated. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

This novel might be fiction but it could very well be giving us a glimpse into the future. After all, artificial intelligence is the future. Whether we wish to accept this or not. I can only hope that those who are experimenting with it will be ethical.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Wow, Max's life sounds quite complicated there. Still, I'm interested in sci-fi and AI, so this book sounds appealing enough to me. Thanks for your recommendation.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nqobile771 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 03:03 This novel might be fiction but it could very well be giving us a glimpse into the future. After all, artificial intelligence is the future. Whether we wish to accept this or not. I can only hope that those who are experimenting with it will be ethical.
I'm not sure we can have that level of artificial intelligence in just a few decades, but progress is so quick that a leap forward might happen in the near future, so all the ethical issues will need to be addressed. Thank you for your insight!
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”