Official Review: Atropos by John Japuntich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Atropos by John Japuntich

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Atropos" by John Japuntich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Fitzpatrick, a retired FBI agent, has just buried his wife after she lost her battle with cancer. Little does he know that she will be one of the very last people ever to die of natural causes. Suddenly all around him, the rates of illness and death begin plummeting, ceasing altogether within a few months. In addition, people over the age of 30 suddenly begin aging backward, feeling and looking younger than they have in years. At the same time, everyone on the planet suddenly becomes infertile, meaning that the people alive during what eventually becomes known as The Event will be the same people on the planet forever.

The Event causes mixed emotions among people, as the joy of no longer having to face aging and death clashes with the grief of never having or even seeing children again. Those with jobs in education and healthcare are suddenly unemployed. The world plunges into a period of economic depression and war. John, who has always been a premier investigator, wonders what has caused The Event and is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery. Now that he’s aging backward, he can reclaim his old investigative job and try to identify what or who is at fault for this catastrophic change. The investigation will consume him for over 300 years.

Atropos by John Japuntich is a dystopian science-fiction novel that examines what would happen if people suddenly lived forever. Would they turn to science, religion, or war? How would governments work? What would happen to family structures when marriages are now eternal and there is no hope of having children? Rather than leaving an environmental mess for future generations, would people finally work to come into harmony with their planet? What sort of advancements to technology would be possible if the whole planet worked together? The timeline of the book spans over 300 years and gives answers to all of these questions.

I enjoyed the worldbuilding in this novel. The technological advances were interesting and believable, from the Takahashi Industries Cerebral Interface (TICI) implant, connecting human brains directly to the internet, to the space elevator, able to take humans up to a space station at a more economical expense than launching space shuttles. Exploring space and finding other habitable planets moved to the front of the world’s agenda. There was a lot of thought put into the way industries would change after The Event and how human governments and organizations would reform. The geography of the world itself also altered based on the new needs of its citizens, with new areas of the world moving to the forefront and different types of travel making the globe feel smaller than it did before.

The plot moved quickly, and there was always a new challenge to overcome. Many new characters were introduced along the way to portray different effects of The Event on the world. It almost felt like there were several mini-stories within the novel to go along with the overarching mystery of John’s investigation into the source of The Event. Although this kept the book interesting action-wise, I felt that this style was detrimental to character development. Because there were so many characters popping in and out of the book, it was very difficult to get emotionally attached to anyone. Even at the end of the story, I didn’t feel like I really knew any of the characters that well.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I noticed a few errors, but they did not distract from the plot. I was always wondering what would happen next as the pages turned and the years passed. I rate Atropos 3 out of 4 stars. If I had been able to really connect with some of the characters, I think it would have been a four-star book. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy science-fiction and dystopian themes, particularly if they are interested in the effects of AI on society.

Atropos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chamirish
Currently Reading: A Bloody Book
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Chamirish »

The concept of this book seems very unique. I really enjoy science-fiction, but I also like to connect with the main characters within the story. I don’t think this book is for me, but I enjoyed your review. Thank you.
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

Great job on this review! It sounded like you outlined the book very well, and I will definitely be putting this book on my "want to read" bookshelf. Thank you for such a great review!
michael doemon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by michael doemon »

this book seems one of a kind i enjoy reading it.thanks
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I love your review of this book. This seems like an interesting sci-fi book with a great plot.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite your reservations, this seems an intriguing novel that explores the possible consequences of potential immortality, which in this case came through a mysterious cause. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Chamirish wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 05:46 The concept of this book seems very unique. I really enjoy science-fiction, but I also like to connect with the main characters within the story. I don’t think this book is for me, but I enjoyed your review. Thank you.
Thank you for commenting!

Claire Vaal wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 19:08 Great job on this review! It sounded like you outlined the book very well, and I will definitely be putting this book on my "want to read" bookshelf. Thank you for such a great review!
I hope you enjoy the book! It was a fun read.

michael doemon wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 21:07 this book seems one of a kind i enjoy reading it.thanks
Thanks for stopping by to comment!

AtienoMagero wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 07:40 I love your review of this book. This seems like an interesting sci-fi book with a great plot.
Thanks for the comment and the compliment!

NetMassimo wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 11:15 Despite your reservations, this seems an intriguing novel that explores the possible consequences of potential immortality, which in this case came through a mysterious cause. Thank you for your great review!
It definitely was an interesting book. Thanks for commenting!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your engaging review. Since this novel's genres are right up my alley, it sounds very interesting to me. Too bad that the author seems to create too many characters. I don't really enjoy books like that, as the big cast will dilute the plot.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The title caught my attention. The concept of immortality, the timeline, and the space elevator are intriguing. Also, insights about character development are helpful. Thanks for the recommendation.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for this interesting review! It looks like my kind of read so I appreciate your recommendation. Great job!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like my kind of story! 😊 Since time immemorial, humans have been preoccupied with anti-aging treatments and notions of immortality. But in this story, there's a catch. It's not as great as people imagine it to be. I'm definitely adding this to my "Want to Read" shelf!

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

This sounds like a great piece! I love the idea of The Event and I’m curious if the main character ever find the truth and what he does with it! I like the idea of mini-stories within a larger story, but agree that it would detract from my connection to the characters, overall.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Sou Hi wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 02:08 Thanks for your engaging review. Since this novel's genres are right up my alley, it sounds very interesting to me. Too bad that the author seems to create too many characters. I don't really enjoy books like that, as the big cast will dilute the plot.
Thanks for commenting!

sssns wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 21:28 The title caught my attention. The concept of immortality, the timeline, and the space elevator are intriguing. Also, insights about character development are helpful. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for your comment!

raluca_mihaila wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 04:24 Thank you for this interesting review! It looks like my kind of read so I appreciate your recommendation. Great job!
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to check it out!

Josephe-Anne wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 22:34 This sounds like my kind of story! 😊 Since time immemorial, humans have been preoccupied with anti-aging treatments and notions of immortality. But in this story, there's a catch. It's not as great as people imagine it to be. I'm definitely adding this to my "Want to Read" shelf!

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
I hope you enjoy the book!

Mvictoria wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 20:09 This sounds like a great piece! I love the idea of The Event and I’m curious if the main character ever find the truth and what he does with it! I like the idea of mini-stories within a larger story, but agree that it would detract from my connection to the characters, overall.
Thank you for stopping by to comment!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

What an intriguing storyline! I would also love to age backward but can't stand not seeing my kids grow and having their own families. Would love to read this book.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

At first, I thought it would be a nice idea for one to remain young forever. But with the problems that could come with it, I now strongly think nature should take it's course
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”