Official Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Fo...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Fo...

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever" by Georgios Zelelidis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Georgios Zelelidis’s self-help book, titled The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever, is a collection of short motivational passages in the form of diary entries for each day of the year. The book aims to help readers gain confidence in themselves, break free of their possibly painful pasts, and learn how to live in the present.

Given that each motivational passage is only about one page long, the book certainly makes for a quick read. Additionally, given its diary format, I believe that the best reading style to adopt would be to read an entry a day, so that its motivational and inspirational effects can be compounded over time in order to achieve the best positive result.

As for the content of the diary entries themselves, I can clearly see the effort the author put into writing his book, and I certainly felt motivated after reading said entries. For example, Zelelidis tried to connect with readers by encouraging them to take the initiative to pursue what they want in life and to never wait for things to fall into their laps.

However, I must say that what struck me most about the book is the presence of multiple references to Ancient Greek literature (mainly from Homer’s Odyssey). This is probably due to the fact that The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever is an English translation, i.e., the book is originally written in Greek. I very much enjoyed these references because of my long interest in Greek literature and mythology, and this aspect certainly helped me to maintain my immersion in the book!

Nonetheless, no book is flawless. As I mentioned earlier, the book consists of diary entries that seek to motivate readers. Whilst this is heartening, the fact is each diary entry is merely an iteration of another diary entry. Simply put, the book, unfortunately, became rather repetitive and monotonous very quickly. Trying to finish the book then became difficult, and I had to put it down multiple times to take a break. However, it is important to note that in my case, there was a deadline to meet to publish this very review; on the other hand, for the people who decide to read The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever, there is no strict timeline to follow.

More importantly, the book too brings up a couple of psychological concepts without providing explanations. This could certainly trip up some readers who are unaware of such concepts. For example, the author chooses to capitalise the word “ego” in some of his diary entries when referring to both one’s personality and sense of pride – one wonders if he is referring to the Freudian ego or perhaps something else entirely? Clarity is, regrettably, much needed here.

Moreover, there are quite a number of grammar errors present, such as missing and superfluous commas; the presence of these errors detracted from the reading experience. This could be attributed to the fact that The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever is a translation; still, I highly recommend a couple more rounds of editing.

Therefore, due to the various flaws present (excluding the tedium of my reading experience), it pains me to admit that I have no choice but to rate Georgios Zelelidis’s The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever 2 out of 4 stars. This is because I have faith that with the help of an editor to work out both the grammar kinks and the lack of clarity, the book will become much improved. Still, in its current form, I can only recommend The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever to people who are in need of motivational writing, as well as those who possess a love for Greek literature. For those who are sensitive, the book assumes a religious reader (most likely Christian), and there are also some instances of minor profanity.

The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever
View: on Bookshelves
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the positive message geared to be read on a daily basis and are inspirational. I like that it contains references to Greek literature. Nice review.
Barkha95
Favorite Book: Throne of Glass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barkha95.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Barkha95 »

I think i particularly loved the cover. Title of the book gives great vibe on like after reading this piece of work, your life/world gonna change.
Great review imo
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I think that the format is very convenient. An excellent book to have on the bedside table and read an entry before going to sleep.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

I keep diaries, and I know how refreshing that can be most times. I can relate with this book.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a nice inspirational book. It's too bad that it's repetitive. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the innovative approach to organizing the text of the book. In my humble opinion, there is nothing worse than when a chapter is too long, so the reader gets lost. Thanks for the great review.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Thanks for your review! I've never been one to keep up with a diary, journal, or even a planner, but I like the concept presented here. My husband has found value in other books that have daily prompts, but I don't think we've ever come across ones with Greek roots. I hope the publication team can find a good English editor to make the necessary corrections on this side of the translation, as it seems like the book could really help someone if it were properly edited.
Oluwole Odugbesan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oluwole Odugbesan »

I find this book encouraged for a good heart fellow and who wants to be great leader.
James Stan
Currently Reading: City of Ash and Red
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by James Stan »

Struggles for a goal should not be backed away because of an obstacle, this book teaches us so, love it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”