Review by Sdoris30 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sdoris30
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdoris30.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Sdoris30 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

Post by Sdoris30 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Londyn Skye narrates a story about the life of a slave girl in the 19th century. The Prodigy Slave, Book one: Journey to Winter Garden is a book that shows us the hardships of a girl whose life changes after her unique talent is discovered.

The book narrates the story of Lily, a slave girl, who is separated from her mother at a young age and is later on sold at an auction. While working for the Adam's family, she secretly discovers the piano, which is not just an instrument to her, but a therapy for the trauma she experienced at a young age. She also forms a unique friendship with James, the youngest son of Jesse. They become close until their friendship is discovered. Years later, Jesse comes to know Lily's hidden secret, her ability to play the piano. Their encounter changes Lily's life forever. With the support of friends, her musical journey not only makes her famous but she also finds happiness, freedom and romance. There's only one setback that crumbles everything she worked hard for. Read the book for more...

What made me like this book is the story between James and Lily. I selected this book because I was captivated by the title which gave a hint of what content I was about to read. I love the way Lily's story broke barriers despite her race. The fact that she never gave up and she earned respect at a time where black people were looked down upon. I also loved the chemistry between her and James. The way their childhood friendship blossomed into love. The way James fought tooth and nail to make sure Lily's dream was achieved. The story was detailed as well with each scene and each character's background well elaborated.

As much as I loved this book, the only minor thing I didn't like was the repetition Londyn put in the book. I found myself bored when she kept on revisiting how she was saddened by her separation from James. It was repeated in some musical performances and I felt like I read the same scene over and over again, however, I understand that in some scenes the repetition was necessary as it was used for props in her musical performances.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved the story. It was well developed with a few errors. For me, I feel like the rating represents how I felt after finishing the book. The book taught me perseverance. Despite the obstacles, a star was born. I would like to let readers know in advance that there is a lot of racial slurs in the book, curse words and sexual content. I would recommend this book to adults above 18 years, who love a good romance story. Also History lovers may find this book interesting as it is very educative.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

James and Lily’s relationship sounds special—and complicated. Thank you for your take on this read! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”