Official Review: Waking Dead by Jay Glendell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Waking Dead by Jay Glendell

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waking Dead" by Jay Glendell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paul Peres was just a doctor in a hospital in New York until Raj, his only friend in the hospital, was killed in a hit-and-run accident. Raj's wife seems sure that it wasn't an accident, but Paul was skeptical that anyone would want his friend dead.

FBI agent, Karen Andersen, shocks Paul with a theory indicating that Raj's death wasn't an accident. When Paul and Karen find Raj's wife also murdered in her apartment, Paul starts to believe her theory. But who could have wanted his friends dead? Karen has a suspect in mind and invites Paul to join her to Spain and Andorra to unravel the killer's identity. However, they must survive the contract on their heads too in their quest to bring the killer to justice.

Waking Dead by Jay Glendell will take your imagination on a fascinating ride. The tale took me on an exciting adventure with the protagonists. From the beauty of Barcelona to the unforgiving terrains in Andorra, the author's narrations made me feel like a tourist. I enjoyed the author's excellent descriptions the most in this book. I could feel and see the things she described. What impressed me was that the events and surroundings so described were all necessary and easy to comprehend. I love that!

Another commendable aspect of this book is the characterization. The book contains just the right number of characters, and the main ones were well developed. Also, it was easy for me to relate to the characters because of how lifelike they were. They had vulnerabilities as people do. For example, Paul was battling with the moral qualm of traveling to seek justice for his slain friends and staying back to face his wife's divorce plans. More so, the dialogues between the characters didn't disappoint me. I enjoyed how believable and free-flowing they were.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the author's subtle fusion of romance in the story. It provided me with moments of respite from some of the anxious moments in the book. I also appreciate this novel's satisfying climax. My inability to predict the twist at the end left a sweet hangover in my mind after reading the book.

To conclude, there was no aspect of this 184-page crime story that I disliked. I even fell in love with Karen's character due to how emotionally strong and smart she is, and I believe readers who enjoy books with strong female characters will love her. I must commend the author for achieving intrigue and suspense in his narrations while still keeping the book relatively concise. Considering all the points going for Waking Dead, I am awarding it 4 out of 4 stars. The book is professionally edited but contains some errors. I recommend this novel to lovers of crime fiction stories, especially those who appreciate unexpected twists at the end of a book.

Waking Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Beautifully written review. I am sold on the book and wonder if Paul managed to uncover the culprit's identity.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

With the help of this FBI agent, they would surely find the culprit. I like crime-thrillers.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This seems like my kind of books, as I love a good mystery and Barcelona :). The name was misleading, because I first thought of zombies, of course. Thank you very much for your recommendation and this engaging review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense thriller as it's quite short in telling a story that is developed in various parts of the world with interesting protagonists. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Gabriellasch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gabriellasch »

This seems like one of my kind of books. Just me, this book, and a rainy day! That sounds like heaven to me. These type of books make me feel as though I am in the book. Well done author!
Last edited by Gabriellasch on 05 Jan 2021, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I am one of those people who enjoy reading books with strong female characters. I was worried about ghosts and endless massacres, but am happy to know that it is a thriller with all the suspense, twists, and turns. I enjoyed reading your review.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I can imagine the three trying to stay alive as they are being targeted. This promises to be an action-packed story. Good job on the review!
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

Wow, the book sounds interesting. I love unexpected twists and turns as I read. I might just check out the book and see if it's as interesting as you say. Nice review
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

First the cover grabbed my attention, and then your summary and review of the book convinced me that I must read this novel! Honestly, it sounds like it has everything I look for in a crime novel so I’m really looking forward to curling up with this and uncovering the mystery behind these murders. Thanks so much for your thorough review!
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I really like your review. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. Fantastic review!
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

amrinzaeda wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 23:01 First the cover grabbed my attention, and then your summary and review of the book convinced me that I must read this novel! Honestly, it sounds like it has everything I look for in a crime novel so I’m really looking forward to curling up with this and uncovering the mystery behind these murders. Thanks so much for your thorough review!
MayorE wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 04:30 Wow, the book sounds interesting. I love unexpected twists and turns as I read. I might just check out the book and see if it's as interesting as you say. Nice review
AtienoMagero wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 02:01 I really like your review. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. Fantastic review!
Thanks a lot for finding time to read and comment on my review.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

This sounds like a book that I would love! Thank you for the review!
KMGR70
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Bad Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

At first glance, I thought it said Walking Dead and was actually the reason I clicked on it. But I enjoy crime thrillers much more than reading about zombies! This one sounds pretty interesting and I'm wondering why the FBI agent would ask Paul to go to Spain with her for the investigation. Thanks for the review. I may check it out to find the answer.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

This is the thing about a good book, being able to go places while in a comfortable position. It sounds like an engaging book. Great Review
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”