Review by Drianie -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journe...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by Drianie -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journe...

Post by Drianie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The beautiful and extremely talented Lily shines as the protagonist of this gripping novel. With her photographic memory, she taught herself to play the piano at a young age, proving to be a musical prodigy. But the color of her skin made the talent she possessed worthless to the world. She was forcefully taken from her mother as a little girl and sold to a plantation owner. This is where she met her only childhood friend, James, her new master’s youngest son. Many years later, James discovers her talent upon returning from university. Will he be brave enough to confront his feelings for Lily? More importantly, will he be able to sacrifice his position in his family and society and stand for what is right?

The opening scene of this novel with Lily being torn away from her mother, never to see her again, broke my heart. I immediately knew that I was invested in her story and found it difficult to put the novel down. Readers will find themselves captivated by James and Lily’s complicated relationship. While reading, I couldn’t help but wish that they would find happiness in such a dismal world. Although this is a romantic novel, I appreciate the author spending so much time developing the plot around Lily’s musical ability. Her fighting to be heard by a society that does not want to listen to her added so much depth to the story. It also introduced me to one of my favorite characters, William. As a retired composer and a musical genius himself, he serves as her mentor, guiding her along the way.

Then there is the conclusion of the story, which both enthralled and shocked me at the same time. The unexpected turn of events was agonizing to read through, and ending with that cliffhanger will torture me until I can get my hands on the second novel and satisfy my curiosity. Furthermore, the author included extracts from the slave code at the beginning of each chapter with some connection to the events that will subsequently unfold. It’s absolutely shocking and disgusting to think that these laws actually existed. The novel is beautifully written and easy to read. The overflowing love for arts and culture was apparent throughout the story. There was honestly nothing I disliked about the novel.

I couldn’t find any errors while reading and therefore conclude that the novel was professionally edited. I am happy to rate The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye 4 out of 4 stars. The compelling plot and well-developed characters against the backdrop of nineteenth-century Virginia made for a delightful reading experience. Londyn Skye proves that she is a talented writer who made me care about her story and her characters. Even minor characters with fleeting appearances made a lasting impression.

It is only fair to warn sensitive readers that the novel contains a few erotic scenes, profanity, and crude remarks. It goes without saying that the mature content in this novel is not suitable for a younger audience. I highly recommend this to romantic novel enthusiasts who don’t mind some added spice to the narrative. The historical setting and background will interest readers who would like to learn a little more about the everyday life of a slave during the nineteenth century.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Historical fiction is not my kind of stuff, but reading the various comments this one seems great to have a look into a dark part of American history. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Although historical fiction is not my favourite genre, I might give this one a try because all reviews are really positive.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for the beautiful review. I also read it and I was shaken, especially by the opening scene just like you. This is a masterpiece and people should really read it to enjoy for themselves.
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

NetMassimo wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 03:20 Historical fiction is not my kind of stuff, but reading the various comments this one seems great to have a look into a dark part of American history. Thank you for your great review!
The author did a great job writing this historical romance novel, though I get that this genre is not for everyone. Thanks for reading my review and engaging! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 09:56 Although historical fiction is not my favourite genre, I might give this one a try because all reviews are really positive.
I can honestly say that it ticks all the boxes for a historical romance novel. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Mtibza eM wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 11:24 Thank you for the beautiful review. I also read it and I was shaken, especially by the opening scene just like you. This is a masterpiece and people should really read it to enjoy for themselves.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did. I didn't know what to expect when I started reading, but I was blown away immediately. Thanks for your kinds words! :tiphat:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for your insightful review on this historical fiction which nicely portrays slave trade as well as romance between girl born in slave group and an white Aristocrat.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Quite a tragic story indeed. Its so disheartening seeing people judging others by their color of their skin. Thanks for the captivating review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for such a beautiful review. I also read and enjoyed this book and I agree with you on many points you have raised.
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

sanjus wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 12:11 Thanks for your insightful review on this historical fiction which nicely portrays slave trade as well as romance between girl born in slave group and an white Aristocrat.
I appreciate you stopping by and commenting! Thanks! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Slater678 wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 03:29 Quite a tragic story indeed. Its so disheartening seeing people judging others by their color of their skin. Thanks for the captivating review.
I agree! Treating everyone with equality should be something we all aspire to do! Thanks for stopping by and engaging! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Mtibza eM wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 10:52 Thank you for such a beautiful review. I also read and enjoyed this book and I agree with you on many points you have raised.
I'm so happy you enjoyed it too! Thanks for your kind words! :tiphat:
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

Historical fiction isn’t really my favorite genre but this book seems really interesting and sadly, some of these things and worse have happened in the past. Thank you for an interesting review
Alexander Spence
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexander Spence »

Historical fiction is not my kind of stuff, but reading the various comments this one seems great to have a look into a dark part of American history. Thank you for your great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”