Official Review: Three Shades of Healers by Cuco Francis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Official Review: Three Shades of Healers by Cuco Francis

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Three Shades of Healers" by Cuco Francis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what the world will be like if certain humans possess extraordinary powers to heal others from any sickness or cleanse them of guilt? A world where medications and surgeries will be relegated to the background? The foregoing, in simple words, is the storyline of Three Shades of Healers by Cuco Francis. Ming Delgado is a young lady that specializes in herbal treatments. A time came when she discovered a strange plant in her garden, and to figure out what it is, she ate it. Following the occurrences in the book, I discovered that the plant has supernatural consequences. Ming is soon raped by men who she had extended help to, and this gave rise to the birth of triplet boys with unusual skin colors. The boys possess this supernatural power to heal, which they exercised on different persons. However, this affects the sales and profit of a major pharmaceutical company, and they are on the verge of getting eliminated.

As much as this is a fictional book, it is quite realistic and thought-provoking. Cuco Francis exposes the reader to the inner workings of a pharmaceutical industry; how they tamper with medicinal ingredients and bully medical practitioners into using a particular product in order to maximize profit. I kept wondering about the possibility of similar occurrences in the actual world, and I concluded that this isn’t farfetched.

This book is straightforward, easy to understand, and does not contain unnecessary details. The author was able to sustain my interest throughout the flow of the book, and I couldn’t drop my phone till I had finished reading the book.

Although the issue of rape isn’t a major concern in the book, I didn’t like the consequence that came upon a perpetrator, as I felt that it wasn’t enough. I was also expecting the others to bear the consequences of their actions, but this wasn’t the case. This, to me, wasn’t so appealing as the issue was too trivialized.

Sadly, the book contains spelling and punctuation errors. Clearly, it needs another round of meticulous editing, and this has prompted me to deduct a star from it. Therefore, I am giving Three Shades of Healers by Cuco Francis a rating of three out of four stars.

Anyone interested in reading about the healing power of these triplets and other details I’ve provided of this book will find it appealing, and I strongly recommend it to them.

Three Shades of Healers
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

Although the premise sounds interesting, rape is a very serious issue and for the author to use it as a mere plot device, I think, is a huge mistake. I'm surprised that he chose to dispense social commentary on the pharmaceutical industry but not the issue of rape... Anyhow, thanks so much for your thorough review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds very intriguing, and I love medical thrillers. I agree with you; the issues with big pharma putting profit over citizens' health are sadly becoming more and more of a reality every day. The triplets with healing powers add another layer of intrigue. Thanks for the informative review!
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

The storyline and premise of this book sound interesting. The possible implications about the health industry are certainly thought-provoking as well, though I agree that the issue of rape should not have been glossed over so much. Thanks for your insightful review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The supernatural healing powers, the unusual skin colors, and the strange plant are intriguing. I hope the book gets another round of editing for a more enjoyable reading experience. Thanks for the recommendation.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

I want to read along this discovery of the plant to see what Ming did with it. Good job reviewer.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A sort of medical thriller that can be interesting, but honestly I think that the so-called alternative medicine is too often less ethical than the so-called Big-Pharma. In this case, we have supernatural healing, so that's a fictional type of medicine with a story that seems to address ethical and moral issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

The premise sounds quite intriguing. I also thought that the culprits were punished (about the rape case), but it turned out to be the opposite. I hope the errors are fixed because I would love to read this story. Thanks for the insightful review.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I don't quite understand why a big pharmaceutical company would go after three boys. They have the upper hand in terms of reach. The boys are limited to a location, but their drugs have a wider reach. I don't think the sales argument is a good motivator in this case. Anyway, thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

I also don't take the issue of rape lightly, and I agree with you that the perpetrators should have been punished more. Your review has made me curious, and I would love to give the book a try. Thanks for the review!
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. I think this is a very interesting book. The story seems very unique and thought provoking.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

thank you for the informative review, im definately adding this to my bucketlist. the tittle and the flow of the story sustained my interest thank you pal
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

the story is unique and your summary is quiet interesting, bravo its a must read for me
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Such a thought-provoking book. I am glad issues such as the greed of pharmaceutical companies are shown, but the author should have taken diligent care of the rape issue too. A nice and thorough review :D
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks for the review! Seems very interesting. I may try to dive into this one

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”