Official Review: The Easter Murders by Richard Zappa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The Easter Murders by Richard Zappa

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Easter Murders" by Richard Zappa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amy, a young teenager, confessed to Father Julian that she was raped on multiple occasions and impregnated by her stepfather. Consequently, she had run away from home. He counseled her to go to the St. Joseph’s Parish Convent for help. The next morning, the girl’s nude body was discovered in front of his church. She had been murdered and given an abortion. Unfortunately, she is not the last girl who will be slain—a serial killer is on the loose.

Detectives Jo Crowder and Sid Steele are put on the case. Possessing a dogged determination, Crowder will leave no stone unturned to find clues to the murderer. Occasionally, this means she has to go outside the limits imposed on her in order to catch the perpetrator. In this case, she believes an innocent man has been framed and is determined to discover if he truly is the murderer, or if not, who is? However, Detective Crowder is being thwarted at every turn by Max Hellman, an unscrupulous district attorney. He doesn’t care if the suspect is innocent but is solely concerned with getting a conviction to make himself look good.

The Easter Murders by Richard Zappa is a thrilling crime drama/mystery with some romance thrown in for good measure. It is a 326-page story written from the third-person point of view. Although it is the second book about the protagonist, Jo Crowder, this is a standalone novel with all of the pertinent questions adequately answered by the end of the tale.

The author is a retired trial lawyer, so he is qualified to produce this book, much of which takes place in the courtroom. Although he was an attorney, the story is written in descriptive, simple, and easy-to-understand prose. It jumps right into the action in the first chapter, when the girl’s deceased body is discovered, and continues with clues along with enough red herrings that will keep one guessing until close to the end. It is engrossing and difficult to put down. The plot follows a logical progression that informs the readers of steps that detectives typically undertake to discover the identity of a criminal. I loved the suspense as well as trying to solve the mystery.

Several characters add depth and interest to the story; some of these include likable Jo Crowder (a strong female protagonist dedicated to bringing villains to justice), a despicable district attorney (who will do anything to win his case), and a psychopathic killer (who doesn’t believe that what he/she is doing is wrong).

Because nothing was encountered in this intriguing book that I didn’t enjoy, The Easter Murders achieves a rating of four out of four stars. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers who appreciate thrillers, mysteries, and crime dramas with a dash of romance. Sensitive readers should be aware that profanity and murder (not gory) are encountered in the story, and sex, including rape, is alluded to but not explicitly described.

The Easter Murders
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What an engaging and engrossing review! Thank you for your recommendation and great job!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 04:07 What an engaging and engrossing review! Thank you for your recommendation and great job!
Thank you so much for your kind words! A good book helps in writing the review!
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Thriller Crime Drama is my favourite. The review is captivating, it immediately draws me in from the first paragraph.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I hope Amy left enough clues for the detectives. I also hope Father Julian offered much-needed help to solve Amy's case. This book is exciting and I desire to find out if Crowder succeeded. Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Eddy E wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 12:05 Thriller Crime Drama is my favourite. The review is captivating, it immediately draws me in from the first paragraph.
I think you would enjoy the book then. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nqobile771 wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 14:03 I hope Amy left enough clues for the detectives. I also hope Father Julian offered much-needed help to solve Amy's case. This book is exciting and I desire to find out if Crowder succeeded. Awesome review.
You will need to read the book to find out. :lol: Thanks for the comments!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I can tell that this is a great book to read. I'm curious to find out how Detective Crowder navigated the obstacles laid before him to find the real killer. Thanks for helping me spot his one.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I appreciate a standalone book especially if it is part of a series. I like Jo Crowder already. How on early can a psychopathic killer think that what they are doing is not wrong? Thanks for the amazing review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

derialist wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 13:46 I can tell that this is a great book to read. I'm curious to find out how Detective Crowder navigated the obstacles laid before him to find the real killer. Thanks for helping me spot his one.
It was a very suspenseful book. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tarilan wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 14:39 I appreciate a standalone book especially if it is part of a series. I like Jo Crowder already. How on early can a psychopathic killer think that what they are doing is not wrong? Thanks for the amazing review.
I liked her as well. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

I am just trying to imagine Amy and her father. I hope she recovers quickly.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems quite a brutal crime thriller with a serial killer in action, but it seems well-constructed and engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Reviewer100 wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 03:21 I am just trying to imagine Amy and her father. I hope she recovers quickly.
Amy was raped by her stepfather. She confessed to Father Julian, who was a priest. Then, she was murdered. So, she won't be recovering, unfortunately. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 06:04 This seems quite a brutal crime thriller with a serial killer in action, but it seems well-constructed and engaging. Thank you for your great review!
It wasn't gory, but it definitely was suspenseful! Thanks for reading my review and commenting!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”