Official Review: A Search For Truth (2nd Edition)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: A Search For Truth (2nd Edition)

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Search For Truth (2nd Edition)" by Sylvia L. Lewis, M.A..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all know the word: Judeo-Christianity. We have heard time and again how our country, America, has been founded on its beliefs. The word Judeo-Christianity - when used in the context of spiritual origins - is meant to unite. However, within the tent of Christianity alone, there is a great deal of division and discord. Many Christians disregard their common spiritual heritage and look upon believers in Christ from other sects as if they were from different religions. Catholics will not accept the teachings of Protestanism as Christian and vice-versa. Instead of uniting over the central values - the life, death, and resurrection of Christ and the salvation offered to those who believe in Him - Christians divide themselves over styles of worship and institutional traditions.

A Search For Truth by Sylvia L. Lewis is an inspirational, religious novel that tells the story of a young woman trying to find her place between two seemingly different faiths. Cynthia Johnson is a devout Catholic young woman with a promising career, a doting fiance, and a loving family. Cynthia's life seems perfect until her family reveals that they have been keeping a life-changing secret from her. As a result of this revelation, Cynthia's family seems to tear apart at the seams, and Cynthia finds herself trying to understand whether it's possible to be true to her roots and still faithful to Christ.

It is refreshing to read a Christian book that recognizes that the love of Christ reaches all believers regardless of their denomination. The author does an excellent job explaining the differences in different denominations while still recognizing their intrinsic value in the eyes of God. I especially liked the way the author introduces the reader to Messianic-Christianity by skillfully weaving it into the story. Messianic-Christianity is not a well-known denomination, and yet it is so important to the Body of Christ. Jesus was Jewish and followed all the rituals of Judaism for His entire life. Despite that fact, most Christians expect a Jewish person who believes in Jesus to give up his or her heritage when they choose to follow Christ. The author does a commendable job of showing how Messianic-Christianity allows Jewish believers to follow Christ without being unfaithful to their heritage.

Between sections of the book, the author adds some questions and points to consider. I did not spend much time on the questions, preferring to read the book as a novel. However, they might be helpful for some readers, especially if the book is used for group-discussion such as in a book-club. The romantic angle of the story is deep and tender and added to my enjoyment of the book as a whole.

Overall, A Search For Truth leads the reader to the understanding that Jesus died for all who believe, regardless of their denomination. His love for us and His desire for us to be saved is bigger than our doctrinal differences. The book is well written and well-edited. I could only find one minor error. I wish there were more Christian books as open-hearted and accepting as this one. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

A Search For Truth (2nd Edition)
View: on Bookshelves
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Callme joan
Currently Reading: HO Tactics
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Callme joan »

My take away is that Christians should strive to unite over the central values instead of being divided by traditions and styles of worship. This review is well done and I'm definitely looking forward to search for the truth. Literally.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Callme joan wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 11:19 My take away is that Christians should strive to unite over the central values instead of being divided by traditions and styles of worship. This review is well done and I'm definitely looking forward to search for the truth. Literally.
Absolutely @Callme joan! There is more that unites than divides Christians. If I'm reading this right and you are searching for the truth about God, I recommend reading the Bible starting with the New Testament. That is true Christianity.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This a very religious book, I think I'll skip this because am a Muslim, otherwise great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds interesting, at the very least. It's not my type of book, but there are others who will definitely benefit from it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Personally I believe that Christians should all accept each other as we all have the same core values, so reading a book that validates all people is great!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Seems a thorough spiritual teaching based novel under a religious tag talks about Judeo-Christianity. The story constructed around a lady Cynthia Johnson jumbling around two faiths contradicts in a way and strives to be true to her base values yet remain faithful to Christ. Good review, RachelEmmanuel. Thanks.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

The things this book promotes is not something I am unfamiliar with. I am well aware of the good mindedness and unifying teaching of Christianity. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a book about Christianity and it’s beliefs. Nice review. Congratulations BOTD!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It is, indeed, rare to find a Christian book that doesn't claim to have the utmost truth but to unite Christians of different denominations, apparently even including people of the Jewish faith.
Thank you for your insightful review!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like that there is romance in this religious book. It will break the monotony. Thanks for your review.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an excellent book about Christianity. It is the organized religious practices that often cause such confusion between denominations. The important thing is 'salvation' not 'denomination!' Your review points that out, so the author must have that in the book, which is wonderful! This sounds like a very informative religious book that will, hopefully, clear up many things for many people. Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
duskdawn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by duskdawn09 »

This book seems to be heavily based on religion and acceptance. I will give it a read, great review.
~Dawn :tiphat: ~
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Sounds like a great book. But I'm not Christian so I'm passing. But i think this could be applied for more religions than just Christianity. Likein Islam, because of how divided muslims are (again based on differences in opinions).
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
LinetteTram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by LinetteTram »

It’s not my type of a book but the others would like to read it and I would recommend it to them instead of myself

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”