Official Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich!

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich!" by Sarina Siebenaler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does a little girl do to choose just the right pet? It has to be one she’ll never regret! She hasn’t heard great things about puppies, cats or parrots. Inspired by a book, she wonders if an ostrich might be just the right choice. Author and autism advocate Sarina Siebenaler brings this pet dilemma to life in her 2020 children’s book, Do Not Wish for A Pet Ostrich!

The book’s title reflects wisdom born of experience. After a night of vigorous wishing, the young girl wakes to find an ostrich at her side. When her new friend gets 78 apples stuck in his throat, she begins rethinking her choice. She thinks some exercise will help the ostrich, so they make their way to the zoo and then to the beach. It didn’t go all that well. All he wanted to do is run really fast or bury his head in the sand.

It turns out the ostrich was better at being an ostrich than being a pet. He can’t bury his head or go for long runs inside the house. With her great wishing power, the little girl wished on a star that her ostrich would be returned to the zoo where he would be happier. Was her wish granted? Did she settle for a cat or a parrot?

This is a beautiful little children’s book. The author has achieved her goal of writing a book that sparks the imagination, encourages literacy and teaches emotional and social skills. You may recognize some of the meter and the rhyming patterns; they follow a lyrical cadence reminiscent of Dr. Seuss.

The illustrator, Gabby Correia, created delightfully expressive visuals to accompany the story. The author integrates them nicely with the text so they are one experience rather than blocks of text that sit beside the illustrations. The characters reflect a realistic level of diversity, representing people of color and varying physical abilities.

I got stuck in a couple of places where the story seemed to jump. Once I wondered if I was missing a page. This may be less significant with a children’s book, but I felt the need for some better transitions from page to page.

An educational exercise with fun questions for kids appears after the story. While it’s not a quiz, it would help parents gauge comprehension and attention. There was one question I couldn’t answer without scanning back in the book! I did not find any grammar errors in the book.

I gladly award this effort 4 out of 4 stars for its educational value, quality illustrations and fun factor. I predict kids in the three-to-nine target age range will laugh in multiple places, and readers of all ages will appreciate the illustrations and the clever ending.

Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to have an ostrich for a pet :). Thank you for this entertaining review!
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

A pet ostrich would be something I'd wish for! Maybe I should read this book and learn from other people's wisdom. This sounds like a hilarious story. Your review was splendid. Thank you!
Judith Lloy
Currently Reading: Living Well with Depression and Bipolar Disorder
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-lloy.html
Latest Review: Honest Endings by Katherine Cullen

Post by Judith Lloy »

This sounds adorable! What a great concept. Thanks for the review!

Code: Select all

Yes, I really do need all these books. 
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Stars, wishes, apples, ostriches, educational exercises, AND bits of rhyming verse?! Oh what a fabulously feathered tale this one must have been. Thank you for this happy and helpful review. 🍎
Grace_94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-94.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Grace_94 »

Great review! The book sounds fun already. A part of me still long for children books. They're light and so simple to take in and sometimes we adults could use some simple fun too.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I really like your review. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. I love the title and cover of this book. Plus, the story seems very entertaining. Fantastic review!
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

A fun story with an educational exercise is a nice idea. Thanks for a good review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Such a fun book title! And even your review made me laugh out loud 😂
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Sounds like a funny and cute story.
An ostrich is a unique kind of pet that thrives in a spacious area.
Glad to know there are diverse characters in the book.
Awesome review!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

It's really funny and interesting to think about an ostrich as a pet. The story sounds really funny and I liked that it is also educational. Rhyming in children books also makes them more appealing and easy to remember. Great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Vickali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickali.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Vickali »

I love pets. This book sounds like a nice book that I would wish to read. Thanks for your detailed overview. I enjoyed reading it.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

Oh my goodness I could only imagine how crazy having an ostrich for a pet would be! This book seems so light-hearted and entertaining, I can’t imagine a child not loving it! Awesome review too!

Return to “Children's Books”