Review by AnnieOgoo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieogoo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by AnnieOgoo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by AnnieOgoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For the better part of 29 years, Galen Bray has known nothing but war, death, and survival in his homeland, the Land of the Princes. So it comes as a pleasant surprise when he learns that he has been chosen as heir by his hitherto unknown great-uncle (who lives in another kingdom). With papers in hand and hope at heart, and without a second thought for his chaotic homeland, Galen departs the Land of the Princes to a new land of hope, Voulhire.

Reputed for being the most prosperous kingdom at that time, Voulhire was declared to be in its golden age. With its major cities flourishing in their respective areas of commerce, and the minor cities following this lead, Voulhire seemed like a perfect kingdom for perfect people. Yes, Voulhirians took pride in themselves and their economic accomplishments. Voulhire's political state was however not as impressive as its economic state. Although the king, Wilhelm Arcolo, was reputed to be a kind and successful king, Voulhire's success was not attributed to him alone, but also his predecessors. So was Voulhire's political power not entirely entrusted to him, but shared between the throne and the Mianoran council. At this time, there was no love lost between the king and the lord chancellor of the Mianoran council, Midius Maido. This would prove to be one of the greatest threats to the kingdom, as both powerful men have conflicting interests and principles. A long-time enemy of the kingdom has also awoken after years of silence. This time, they are set to bring Voulhire down in bits and pieces. This time, they are more prepared than ever.

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book in what is to be a long series. Based on this well-written installment, We Are Voulhire promises to be an interesting series. The story is set in the Middle Ages, in the time of kings, lords, and mages, but with a sprinkle of modernization and science. The plot unfolds at an even pace with the right amount of suspense and humor to keep you flipping the pages; it finally ends at a ringing cliffhanger that makes you eager for the next book. The story featured the themes of power, war, magic, and friendship. This installment served as an exposition of primary characters and the world of Voulhire, as well as a building up of conflict. A map of Voulhire and a glossary of Voulhirian terms were included in the book to help readers get familiarized with the story; these also gave the book a realistic feel.

I'll rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it deserves that rating. The storyline was intriguing, the characters were unique and interesting, the diction was simple but expressive, and the narration was just good. The only thing I disliked about this book was its unusually tiny font size which gave my poor eyes extra work to do. I recommend that this problem be rectified in subsequent editions. I didn't notice any error in the course of reading this book, so I'm certain it was professionally edited.

Lovers of the fantasy genre will certainly enjoy this book. It might also interest lovers of science fiction and historical fiction. I believe it is suitable for persons of all religions. Although there were no explicit sex scenes, the scenes of violence were quite graphic, and there was a rich use of profane language. I enjoyed the book nonetheless. We Are Voulhire by Matthew Tysz is a promising series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Live and let live, baby. :wink:
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Your review is quite detailed, you left no stone unturned in unveiling the interesting aspects of the story. I see Voulhire as a land of adventure, both for the reader and Galen. Thanks for the review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I hope your poor eyes are fine after reading this book, Ann :D. Luckily, it's a short read, and with the well-crafted plot and interesting characters, I think I can tolerate the tiny font size.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Great job with the detailed review! Welcome to the Voulhire universe, and I hope you will also enjoy the next adventures.
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnieOgoo »

Sou Hi wrote: โ†‘23 Dec 2020, 20:48 I hope your poor eyes are fine after reading this book, Ann :D. Luckily, it's a short read, and with the well-crafted plot and interesting characters, I think I can tolerate the tiny font size.
My eyes are okay! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Thank you for finding time to reread my review.
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnieOgoo »

raluca_mihaila wrote: โ†‘24 Dec 2020, 11:08 Great job with the detailed review! Welcome to the Voulhire universe, and I hope you will also enjoy the next adventures.
Thank you for your comment ๐Ÿ˜Š.
And I certainly enjoy the Voulhire series.
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnieOgoo »

Eutoc wrote: โ†‘23 Dec 2020, 03:55 Your review is quite detailed, you left no stone unturned in unveiling the interesting aspects of the story. I see Voulhire as a land of adventure, both for the reader and Galen. Thanks for the review.
Thank you finding time to read this review ๐Ÿ˜„.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Iโ€™ve read this book and I liked it. This is a great introductory book. Wonderful review!
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnieOgoo »

Honest-reviewer wrote: โ†‘28 Dec 2020, 13:20 Iโ€™ve read this book and I liked it. This is a great introductory book. Wonderful review!
Thank you for your comment.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This was an enjoyable read for me too. I'm glad you liked it. Great review!
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

I'm glad Tysz had a good job with this one. Sound an amazing book for a next read. You have a wonderful review.
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€