Review by anua24060 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Review by anua24060 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is a historical romance. Lily is born to a slave mother and a slave-master father. When she is nine, she is forcefully separated from her mother and is sold in a slave auction. Lily starts her life as a house slave in Jesse- her new master’s house. But Lily has an uncanny ability. She can remember every note Jesse’s wife has played on their piano and play it back. She keeps her talent a secret and practices on the piano whenever she is alone. Then one day, Jesse’s youngest son James enters Lily’s life and the children soon become best friends. An unforeseen incident separates the pair and James grows cold towards her. He is sent to medical school soon after that.

Now, after six years, James returns home colder than ever. He belittles Lily at every chance he gets. With an excuse that breaks Lily’s heart, James convinces his father to take Lily to Ohio. But there is an unforeseen surprise waiting for Lily there. Why does James want to take Lily to Ohio? Why is he cold with her? What are the secrets James is holding? And will their love ever be back?

This book- on one hand, depicts the dire conditions of slaves in the nineteenth century. It talks about the inhumane treatment of African-American people. On the other hand, it is an amazing love story of Lily and James. The childhood friendship between Lily and James shows how children never see color and race to love someone. The subsequent coldness of James shows how society and adults pressurize and fill children’s minds with hate. Lily is a strong and inspiring character. Her journey from a slave who fears even to talk loud, to an assertive woman who can stand for herself is astounding. James is your average historical romance hero- ruggedly handsome, someone who hides his love in his heart and is fiercely protective of what is his. His genuine love for Lily makes him lovable despite all his little flaws.

The thing I liked the most about the book is how real the characters are. All characters have their own intricate backstory, accents, and attires, which makes it easy to empathize with them. I also like how the author has added some rules from the slavery act at the beginning of every chapter, which helps readers to understand unfamiliar terms in the story. Although the perspectives change a lot of times from one character to the other, it is easy to understand because of their unique voices.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. I found very few and negligible errors. There are racial slur and profanity. There are erotic scenes, but they are not too graphic. The plot is unpredictable and kept me reading until the end. The ending is a major cliffhanger and now I am eagerly waiting for the sequel.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is a well-written, well-edited, and entertaining book. I recommend it to readers who like historical fiction and romance. I recommend it only to a mature audience because of the erotic scenes.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a great and educational read. Congratulations for this insightful review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I enjoyed it. I totally agree with your points and rating. I’m also waiting to read the sequel of this. Great review!
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I read most of this book but couldn’t finish it, just wasn’t for me. Glad you felt differently!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:

raluca_mihaila wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 07:32 It seems like a great and educational read. Congratulations for this insightful review!
Thank you!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:

Honest-reviewer wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 09:54 I’ve read this book and I enjoyed it. I totally agree with your points and rating. I’m also waiting to read the sequel of this. Great review!
Thank you!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:

Sararob06 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 10:38 I read most of this book but couldn’t finish it, just wasn’t for me. Glad you felt differently!
Yes, it drags at some places but the ending is worth it. Thank you for commenting!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I also read this book and I also loved it. Thank for the review.
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

There seems to be a lot of emotion in this book. Stealing a child from her mother is sure to be very emotional. Great review
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I found the cover book's illustrations to be fascinating and have been contemplating reading it. After reading your review, I am definitely adding it to my "Want To Read" shelf. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Nice review! This was an enjoyable read for me as well. Lily’s character development is remarkable.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

Loved this book! I read all three volumes since I couldn't stop at the first cone, considering the cliffhanger at the end of the first one. Great job on the review!! I loved Lily and William's chemistry.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”