Official Review: The Errand of Angels: The Lost Book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: The Errand of Angels: The Lost Book

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Errand of Angels: The Lost Book" by Jeff Sprague.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jeffrey Sprague brings forth a thrilling story characterized by revenge, twisted love, and family ties. The Errand of Angels: The Lost Book unfolds through the lives of Altan Stalker, Thatcher Hayes, and Gene Hayes. Altan Stalker is a semi-retired private investigator quietly living his life in seclusion, with his only companions being his three cats. This is the life he adopted after the tragic death of his wife and his college-age daughter moving away to pursue her dreams. However, his peace is interrupted when he gets a call from his uncle, Gene informing him of Thatcher’s kidnapping.

Altan reluctantly accepts to join the FBI team assigned to the case, and he launches parallel investigations. The case quickly takes a bizarre turn when the kidnappers ask for a controversial yet powerful church relic in exchange for Thatcher’s freedom. This request throws everyone in disarray and the church in defense mode as the relic promises to reveal the damaging truth about it. Meanwhile, Altan's investigations begin to uncover buried secrets about the Hayes family and their connection to the kidnappers. Questions arise, everyone is tight-lipped, and the line between the guilty and the innocent becomes blurred.

Jeffrey tactically introduces each character, gradually revealing their roles and connection to each other as the story unfolds. This, in conjunction with the book’s perfect flow, creates suspense, and thoroughly engages the reader. The story quickly takes off right from the introduction as it starts with Thatcher’s well-executed yet peaceful kidnapping, instantly hooking the reader to the pages. The exquisite descriptions of the characters, scenes, various settings, and activities enable vivid visualization of the narrations, and the pages come to life with each depiction and revelation.

My favorite aspect of the book is the first-person account of the story from the leading characters, including the kidnappers who still maintain their anonymity. The kidnappers and their motives remain a mystery, and the reader only gets to know what the investigators uncover, making the book immensely thrilling and captivating. There is nothing to dislike about the novel; however, I have to state that the story revolves around the Mormon Church. The author weaves in the church’s origin and history as well as their teachings and beliefs within the storyline. Nevertheless, this does not take away from the plot and its appeal.

I can confidently conclude that the book is professionally edited; I did not detect any grammatical or spelling errors. The language employed is intelligible, free of any profanities, and the entire read is free of any erotic or overly brutal scenes. Therefore, the book is suitable for anyone who can comprehend it and who is willing to indulge in a world of constant intrigue and mind-blowing revelations. The Errand of Angels: The Lost Book has one of the best and action-packed conclusions I have ever read; furthermore, I was left with three burning questions that hopefully sets the stage for the next book in the sequel. I, therefore, give the novel a deserved rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those looking for a comprehensive crime novel that lives up to the genre.

The Errand of Angels: The Lost Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I really like your review. It's well detailed. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. I like the fact that it's a crime novel. Fantastic review!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I can imagine Altan Stalker's enthusiasm for the case, considering his quiet life in seclusion. I find this book to have the potential to be a compelling read. I hope to read this. Good job on the review!
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

I love when crime novels slowly unfold, bringing us along in the investigation as if we, the readers, are detectives partaking in the story! The immersive experience is one of my favorite things about this genre. I might have to add this to my shelf! Thanks so much for the review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. This sounds like an interesting and well-crafted crime novel. As a fan of this genre, I think I will enjoy this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with well-developed characters and descriptions that make readers feel like part of the setting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
sinis
Favorite Book: Danger in Plain Sight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinis.html
Latest Review: Danger in Plain Sight by Burt Weissbourd

Post by sinis »

The review is written really well. It really makes me develop an eagerness to read the book and the book being a crime thriller makes me although more excited. Cannot wait to read the book :D
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

I find the life of Altan and the cat quite hilarious. But it's an interesting story.
Rocheller531
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Rocheller531 »

The whole retiring with 3 cats was funny to me, but given Ur detailed review, I'm definitely interested in this book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”