Review by Joan642 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Review by Joan642 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Joan642 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The prosperous kingdom of Voulhire—rapidly growing into the golden age. A kingdom where magic and science govern the thoughts and actions of its people. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first installment in the We are Voulhire series, an epic tale which was written by Matthew Tysz.

At last! Galen found a way to leave his chaotic home. Now, in Magnum Caelum (one of the cities in Voulhire), he is to take over his great uncle's fortune. Amidst all odds, Galen is determined to become an even greater blacksmith than his uncle ever was, with the help of Rowan—the executor of his uncle’s will. The city of Hillport is left in pandemonium after an attack by a notorious group of people, known as Riva Rohavi, whom with the help of the former, now powerful Lord of Hillport—Lord Meldorath, seeks revenge on the king. Voulhire is about to be faced with defeat if Lord Meldorath is not stopped.

I was amazed at how wonderful this book turned out to be. The author took me on an exciting adventure around the cities of Voulhire. It was fascinating how each city had their source of great income; for instance, one of the things that made the city of Virko so rich was the selling of steam engine parts. I noticed that the chapters that featured Galen were written in the first-person narrative, while the other chapters that featured other characters were written in the third-person narrative. I loved how the author began by adding a map of Voulhire, showing its rivers, lakes, and large cities. He also added a glossary at the end of the book, as there were words that a reader would find strange.

Honestly, there was nothing I disliked about this book. I found just one grammar error while reading this book, so my reading flow was not disrupted. The writing style was easy to understand. The characters were also well developed and could be related to. I felt like he was laying the foundation for the other books in this series—introducing a chapter with different characters, and taking us through the different cities and cultures of Voulhire in each.

It seems this book was professionally edited, so I cheerfully rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to the general audience, especially those who love to read fantasy novels. I would also like to add that there was no erotic content at all, and there were few instances of profanity, making this book unsuitable for children.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I also enjoyed reading this book that I also rated it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I am glad that you also enjoyed it. Thank you for your well-written review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Tysz sure knows how to captivate the reader. I enjoyed reading the first 3 books in the We are Voulhire series. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieogoo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by AnnieOgoo »

The author did a great job on this series. This first installment is particularly commendable; the author skillfully layed the foundation of the Voulhire story. The characters are also unique and interesting. This is the first book in what is to be a long worthwhile read.
Your review was very engaging and interesting. I enjoyed reading it.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Galen takes quite the journey through many Voulhirian lands in this series. It’s amazing how far a quest to be a blacksmith truly takes him. Thanks for your lovely analysis!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Your perception is spot-on. This first book may be a letdown to some readers due to its level of confusion, but since it's the foundation of the whole series, I feel like it's normal and appealing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think maybe the book is too much fantasy for me and not enough sci-fi. I have a breeder time with these long fantasy tomes. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

It's a wonderful start to the series. I loved it. Great review!
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

Profanity scence were many but i enjoyed every page. I am reading the second book of the series.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”