Official Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Official Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Luray" by Dennis Haupt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s been a while since I’ve read a good science fiction novel. It’s been even longer since I’ve consumed one that I couldn’t put down. Dennis Haupt’s Luray is the book that ended that lack, breaking into my imagination and taking it for a ride that I hadn’t foreseen, earning 4 out of 4 stars along the way.

Focusing on the work of a risk assessment agent sent to a planetary colony, Luray examines what it means to be colonized and the limits of rational thought. Within its pages, Luray Ulyssa Cayenne is sent to the planet EE-297, a burgeoning colony headed by the United Earth Military (UEM), to determine its profitability after first contact has been made. What she finds there goes beyond her job description and might just push her to her limits.

I like this premise. I really do. When I select science fiction novels to read, I try to look for somewhat unique concepts set within familiar tropes. A risk assessment agent investigating a colony that has made first contact? Well, it more than fits my criteria, and it’s funny too.

A lot of the humour comes from the banter between Luray and her A.I. implant, Bin. A cross between friendly, adoring and educational, Luray and Bin’s conversations are probably the most interesting part of the book. While Bin professes his love for her, it’s clear that he enjoys challenging Luray, and there are many points in the book where this amusement is reciprocated. Given that the prose and dialogue are generally dry, yet humorous, the change in pace is a welcome break, coming in exactly where it’s needed.

That’s the charm of the book, in my opinion. It’s very dry and to the point, but that reflects the characters it favours. Luray, for example, is very rational, often overthinking her actions before taking them. Bin is much the same way, restricted by his ever-changing programming to whatever the new limits of his rational thought are.

I will say, though, that I don’t like how Haupt treats the general soldiers he mentioned in the book. They’re portrayed as stupid, mindless drones with a thirst for blood, often ruining Luray’s plans. The only members of the military who are given any sort of redeeming characteristics are the ones in command. Even then, we only have a favourable view of those who follow a similar rational train of thought to Luray’s. I thought this was more than a bit heavy-handed, putting a dampener on an otherwise fun book.

I also don’t like how easily the transition from one section of the book to another allows the author to drop the EE-297 cast without much in the way of any updates. Rather, we are dropped into an all-new situation with little information. While it’s clear that the book is meant to be part of a series, the number of unanswered questions left by the end is extremely frustrating due, in part, to not knowing what happens to the colony after the transition.

That said, I really enjoyed Luray, and I think science fiction lovers will too. It was fun, engaging and mostly well-edited, with only one or two errors that I could find. I encourage you guys to check it out.

Happy reading, everyone!

Luray
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, the novel merits seem to be dominating for an engaging and funny read. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

This seems like an interesting book. The transitions do sound a bit rough though but still sounds like a good read.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

I like the sound of the premise for this novel, and the humour seems perfect as well. It’s a pity about the drawbacks you mentioned, but I still think I would immensely enjoy this book. Thanks for the recommendation and for the entertaining and detailed review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This sounds exactly like a book I would enjoy! Thanks for a great review.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

Your review is very engaging and even though sci-fi isn’t my go-to genre I think I’ll give this one a shot. Hopefully a sequel is out soon to provide answers for the questions you mentioned.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Thanks for a detailed review. I particularly loved the humor included in this science fiction book. I hope the sequel would be better.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Your review is quite the catch, although sci-fi isn't among the genres I usually would read. One thing that I do love is a very good romance between two domineering characters
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I am sucker of science fiction and the fact that you gave it a full star is enough for me to go check it out.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. This seems like an interesting science fiction book. I really like the plot of this.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

I think the advantages outweighs the disadvantages you mention otherwise nice review
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

I hope to get my copy soon,i dont to be left out ,thank you pal for a well detailed review
simodeeh
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129

Post by simodeeh »

lemme rush get my copy I cant miss this under any given circumstances, thanyou for your well informative review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”