Review by Jennifer Aldo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Review by Jennifer Aldo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the Land of the Princes, a very terrible ruler, the Emperor of Lullabies, presides. The land is known for two things; death and starvation. A young man, Galen Bray, is seen fleeing to Voulhire, a more prosperous country, to take over the inheritance his uncle had left him. He arrives at Magnum Caelum and meets Rowan who happens to be his uncle's executioner at the local Inn, and they fastly become friends.

Voulhire isn't all that Galen thought it to be. Meldorath, a powerful wizard and former Lord of Hillport, is acclaimed dead by King Wilhelm, ruler of Voulhire. Formerly a chief magistrate, he succeeded Lord Orlin as the Lord of Hillport after he had been found guilty of child sexual abuse, an accusation later scrutinized by Lord Eldus, Meldorath's replacement, after Lord Orlin had been killed. Meldorath is feared by many, including the King himself. His assumed death however places a lot of doubt in the hearts of the beloved citizens. Meanwhile, a group of violent rebels, the Riva Rohavi is set to attack Voulhire.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy thriller with its settings in medieval times, featuring magic, kings, and strange creatures. The author, Matthew Tysz, started with a rather impressive map of Voulhire. Being the first entry in the series, the map aided my understanding of the story by placing a pictorial representation of places and towns in his well-imagined mystical world.

The author's writing style in this book was well suited to the settings of the story. The pace didn't feel rushed or too slow, and the language wasn't vulgar. The plot was well developed and Tysz did an excellent job of its proper delivery. It seemed to me that the book was professionally edited because I was unable to find any grammatical error in the entire book, evidence of an exceptional edit.

I enjoyed Rowan's light-hearted nature a lot. His witty banter and cheerful demeanor was a positive light in this story. However, what I liked the most was the friendship nurtured between Rowan, Galen, and another fellow Demetrius, who played an important role in the book. He was an imbuer(a magic geologist) that quickly bonded with them after the duo discovered a very unique magic rock.

Although I particularly couldn't find anything I disliked about the book, it wasn't as thrilling as I expected it to be. Sure, it was a fantastic read, but it wasn't as highly exciting and fixating as I expected. Nevertheless, it remains a good book, and for that, I would be rating the book a 4 out of 4 stars. This is not only due to the interesting plot, but the character development and the writing skills of the author, not to forget the perfect editing. I really enjoyed my time with the book and would recommend it to fantasy-loving fiction readers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. The relationship between Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius is one of the most appealing aspects of this series, and I enjoyed that very much.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read this book, I agree with your analysis of it. Good job on the well-written review.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

I have read the book and I am glad that you enjoyed reading it. I am bummed that it didn't meet your expectations. Thanks for sharing your views about it.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Powerful wizards, deceitful citizens, and complex Voulhirian plots certainly kept this one going. Galen was an interesting character to travel along with. Thanks for your review!
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I equally enjoyed this installment of the series due to its strong character development. Great review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Rashfordmbe10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashfordmbe10.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashfordmbe10 »

The author did a job with the features of magic and great creatures. I hope Galen wasn’t ridiculed in the most part of the story.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I have read and reviewed this book recently, and I eco most of your observations on the book too. Thank you for the detailed review!
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Very good review!

I had the honor to read all of the six books of this series, and I may say that although the first book has managed to catch my interest and was nevertheless a good read, the end was too abrupt; this goes for the second book too, probably because the first and second books serve to introduce characters rather than describe events. However, I can assure you that the abrupt endings will cease by the third book and everything related to characters will start making sense.

You will definitely not regret following through with this series.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Hmmm it seems it is time for the new arrivals to shine. Galen seems to be a relatable character already. Everyone who goes to a new country goes with gigantic dreams and Galen strikes me as an epitome of that. Thanks for your fascinating review, Jennifer.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a really interesting dark fantasy novel. Glad you enjoyed it!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I gave We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies a full rating just as you did. I agree that the book was not that extremely exciting and I feel that the author is just building up the climax for the rest of the books. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”