Official Review: Hire Right, Fire Right

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Official Review: Hire Right, Fire Right

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hire Right, Fire Right" by Roxi Bahar Hewertson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating a robust workforce can be quite a challenging task because it starts with having the right employees at your disposal. The right employees can be obtained when an organization invests the appropriate amount of resources in their hiring process. It doesn’t just stop at hiring because retaining these workers remain as crucial as hiring them. Roxi Bahar Hewertson shares in Hire Right, Fire Right a detailed approach to the proper acquisition of employees and how they can be retained and fired appropriately.

The book is divided into three major sections: Acquisition = Hire right, Retention = Nurture right and Closure = Fire right. Each section starts with a search map that highlights a broad serial overview of the steps to be executed in the section. Acquisition focused on ways to take on job advertisement internally and externally, through the technical and personal interviews, down to the final invitation. A considerable number of factors that lead to a high turnover rate was accentuated in Retention. This section encourages organizations to set up a favourable working culture and ensure that employees are engaged in a continuous career development system. It’s known that all good rides always have an end, and this is where Closure becomes a handy tool. Either it’s a voluntary or involuntary termination, leaders are encouraged to make certain that their workers part on a good note.

While reading through this book, I pictured myself traversing through the different stages of my career, wishing I could be under the guidance of a leader like Roxi. I enjoyed the Retention section the most because I felt connected to it more than the other sections. I once interned at a company that was economically unfavourable for me, but I ended up enjoying my stay there because of their welcoming environment. The rich nature of research carried out in this book pointed out that most people change jobs due to reasons beyond higher paychecks, meaning it’s not unusual to see people leaving high-paying jobs for lower-paying jobs.

I must commend the organization of this publication. There was a Resources section that gives a detailed guide on the execution of the models shared in this book. I liked the author’s honesty when she pointed out that it could be daunting to adopt her model at the first attempt, but with subsequent attempts, it becomes easier and more friendly to use. To show the efficacy of one of her models, Roxi mentioned that several people had come back to thank her after she had fired them.

I have this soft spot for leadership books, so it wouldn’t be a surprise that I’d rate Hire Right, Fire Right 4 out of 4 stars. There isn’t anything I disliked about the book. I found only two typographical errors, and they didn’t affect my reading. The audience for this narrative is best suited to people in leadership positions. They could learn a thing or two about employee management from this piece.

Hire Right, Fire Right
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The author obviously has a wealth of knowledge regarding being in a leadership position. I like how the book comprises three sections, so readers can delve into the part that applies to their situation or read the book from beginning to end. I tend to shy away from leadership roles, but this book could be very useful for those in or seeking management positions! Thanks for the informative review.
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

This book seems very intriguing from the title alone.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I think the author's move to include the RESOURCES section is genius! There's no doubt that heads Of organizations would find this book beneficial. Thanks for the awesome review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author does have an excellent program when she receives praise from people who were fired! This book looks like an excellent resource for building your business. I appreciated your detailed summary of the different sections of the book. Since you have studied many other leadership books, your full rating of this book reflects the author's expertise on this subject. Thanks for the recommendation!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A good HR book is always commendable, as hiring should keep up with the changes that happen around us. I think that top management should also learn a lot from this book. Congratulations for your excellent review!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Acquisition of quality workers and retention of loyal employees should be the primary focus of any corporation’s ongoing framework for success. It’s good to hear that this book hit the mark! 🎯
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I used to think that everyone who is fired left on bad terms and that no one can leave a heavy paycheck for a less paying job. Now I know better thanks to your review. All employers will be happy to read this book. Great review!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

When I was studying business administration, I learned about such idealistic workplace policies, but unfortunately, the managers at many companies simply refuse to change their archaic corporate culture.

But I'm glad you enjoyed this book. Thank you for sharing your opinion.
:)
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The author imparts valuable lessons! S/He obviously has the experience and has undertaken extensive research on the topic. Employees are the backbone of any organization. If only those in charge could change their mindsets from exploiting employees to involving them. A lot more could be achieved and both the organization and employee would benefit.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This book is a must read for both employers and employees. Because it may give insight on how to be a valuable worker and also explores how to choose right staff.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I can only imagine how helpful this book will be to readers in leadership positions. It seems well-organized and easy to read, and the additional resources will help those who seek even more guidance and knowledge. Thanks for the interesting and well-written review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Having worked as a manager in retail, I know that these concepts are definitely true. I am no longer in management, so I think I'll pass. But it seems that the author is quite wise. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This book definitely has some important information to share. Having the right employees is crucial to any business. However, as I've read tons of leadership books in my past, I lack the interest to read another one :D

Thanks for your insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a really good book for people in management positions. That is not me, though. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”