Review by quaintrelle4 -- The Most Unlikely Champion

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
quaintrelle4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quaintrelle4.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Review by quaintrelle4 -- The Most Unlikely Champion

Post by quaintrelle4 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Most Unlikely Champion" by Vera Koo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Within the journey of life flows the inevitable stream of woes and hardships bifurcating into two distinct paths: the fall, where you give up and allow the challenges of life to crush you down and the rise, where you see yourself climbing up life’s mountain of distress, until you clutch for victory, as you reach the pinnacle of success. The latter epitomizes the life of Vera Koo—an immigrant born in Hong Kong, a mother of four, and the most unlikely champion.

At the senior age of 49, Vera sets her mark in the male-dominated world of sport-shooting, forging a 22-year path of success characterized by winning streaks and world-breaking records. She is on the cusp of leading more victories when an accident threatens to halt her career. Until then, Vera was just a housewife, a supporting business partner to her husband, and a mother. She was raised in a traditional Chinese family where there were little expectations for women to be successful, particularly in male-dominated fields. Then, an unusual path led her to shooting and to remarkable succession of achievements thereafter.

As she rehabilitates herself back into shape, she hinges on to the elements of her past, including family mysteries, losses, and betrayals; biological attributes; financial losses; and above all faith, which have paradoxically catapulted her to victory against all odds. Will this be enough for her to win more titles or will this signal the end of the road for her shooting career? That is the mystery to uncover in The Most Unlikely Champion—a memoir written by the book’s main character, Vera Koo, with contributions from Justin Pahl.

This non-fictional account shines in its ability to keep readers engrossed through relatable characters. It will take you into a whirlpool of emotions as you unveil the foundational elements that make Vera, a seemingly quintessential housewife, the most unlikely champion. You will grieve at the sacrificial love Vera bears in the absence of returned gratitude. You will be left amazed at the colossal strength she musters when faced with sudden loss and tragedy. Lastly, you will be humbled by Vera’s vulnerability—palpable through the raw details shared—her positivity, gratitude, and unwavering faith amidst a backdrop of pain, trials and tribulations.

The book is well-written with minor errors. The writing style is infused with child-like innocence intricately woven with a unique kind of suspense that makes the book flow seamlessly. Given the salient themes highlighted, caregivers; immigrants and patriots of the United States; women; and the elderly will be drawn to this read. Christians can also be counted among the target audience, arguably more so for the Christ-like characters Vera displays (e.g. faithfulness, long-suffering and patience) as opposed to her theological knowledge—which cannot be fully appreciated as she is, at the time the book was written, in the fledgling stages of her faith.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I loved that it gave the glory to God, and served as a reminder that sometimes, winning has more to do with the state of our mind and our faith rather than the brilliant strategy we may have. I do wish the author had used biblical references to explain some of the conclusions she reached regarding such experiences as the loss of her child. All in all, I give this book a four out of four stars.

The Most Unlikely Champion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

We all experience “the fall” and “the rise” to varying degrees, but most of us can’t begin to fathom what the journey would be like for a female Chinese immigrant pursuing a sport-shooting career. What an interesting book this must have been. Thank you for providing such a thorough and insightful review! 🏮
quaintrelle4
Currently Reading:

Post by quaintrelle4 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: ↑03 Dec 2020, 15:54 We all experience “the fall” and “the rise” to varying degrees, but most of us can’t begin to fathom what the journey would be like for a female Chinese immigrant pursuing a sport-shooting career. What an interesting book this must have been. Thank you for providing such a thorough and insightful review! 🏮
Yes indeed, the fall and rise is sth we have experienced in our lives, but the degree to which the main character experienced it can easily humble a lot of us and create in us a grateful heart. Thanks for your comment
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder what made her turn to shooting. 🤔 That's some rocky life she has lived. I hope she continues to rise above all her tribulations and remain a shooting star.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

The whole book seems to be an emotional and motivational read. I loved your summary of this book because without the spoilers, you actually put a very fine picture of it and that makes me curious to give it a read. Thank you for this beautiful review of a great book. Well-done!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Vera Koo's story is a very inspiring one. I would love to learn more about her. Thanks a lot for the great review and recommendation.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

The entire book is by all accounts a passionate and inspirational read. I cherished your rundown of this book on the grounds that without the spoilers, you really put a fine image of it and that intrigues me to give it a read. Much obliged to you for this lovely audit of an incredible book.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Sounds like an interesting memoir that we can all learn something from. It would be great to learn something from her inspiring story. Wonderful job with the review!
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This is a touching memoir that is worth reading. Great review!
quaintrelle4
Currently Reading:

Post by quaintrelle4 »

SamaylaM wrote: ↑03 Dec 2020, 23:00 The whole book seems to be an emotional and motivational read. I loved your summary of this book because without the spoilers, you actually put a very fine picture of it and that makes me curious to give it a read. Thank you for this beautiful review of a great book. Well-done!
Yes that is exactly what I was aiming for. I wanted to give enough information that could help any interested reader relate to the story but not too much that would end up spoiling it for those who have not read it. Your comment is affirmation that I succeeded in doing that and I thank you for it.
quaintrelle4
Currently Reading:

Post by quaintrelle4 »

Fozia RYK wrote: ↑04 Dec 2020, 04:19 The entire book is by all accounts a passionate and inspirational read. I cherished your rundown of this book on the grounds that without the spoilers, you really put a fine image of it and that intrigues me to give it a read. Much obliged to you for this lovely audit of an incredible book.
Thanks for your kind words. I’m glad I was able to provide you with a great depiction of what the book is like without the spoilers.
quaintrelle4
Currently Reading:

Post by quaintrelle4 »

khaulah wrote: ↑06 Dec 2020, 19:23 Sounds like an interesting memoir that we can all learn something from. It would be great to learn something from her inspiring story. Wonderful job with the review!
Yes indeed! The diversity of her experiences make it so that anyone can easily relate to her, if not in whole then definitely in parts.
quaintrelle4
Currently Reading:

Post by quaintrelle4 »

Miriam Molina wrote: ↑03 Dec 2020, 22:45 I wonder what made her turn to shooting. 🤔 That's some rocky life she has lived. I hope she continues to rise above all her tribulations and remain a shooting star.
It really was a product of timing and life events because had she tried shooting earlier in her life, I don’t think she would have stuck with it.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

:lol:
quaintrelle4 wrote: ↑12 Dec 2020, 13:05
Fozia RYK wrote: ↑04 Dec 2020, 04:19 The entire book is by all accounts a passionate and inspirational read. I cherished your rundown of this book on the grounds that without the spoilers, you really put a fine image of it and that intrigues me to give it a read. Much obliged to you for this lovely audit of an incredible book.
Thanks for your kind words. I’m glad I was able to provide you with a great depiction of what the book is like without the spoilers.
Welcome.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”