Official Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Official Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Grim Light Rising" by Joseph Burgo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo is an epic fantasy novel set in a mysterious continent reminiscent of medieval Europe. It describes an era hundred of years after a mysterious deadly plague swept across the continent. Society had regressed, and many arts were lost. The story follows a handful of characters including the king of the land and his brothers, a wandering old bard, and other characters who are at a crossroads in their life. Our narrative starts with a young girl who is sensing unusual changes in her body and must leave her village lest the villagers kill her for being different.

Tragedy is something that is etched in the story and is repeated many times. Characters in this story are well written and are not afraid to make decisions that alter the course of the story. And there are many important characters in the story which makes it very rich in terms of character development, but a clear picture of the main tale takes very long to establish. It makes the story difficult to get into as many exciting things are happening but are not tied together. And even after the main agenda of the story is set, the individual characters seemed much more interesting than the main story, which is pretty basic.

However, the main highlight of this book is undoubtedly the individual characters and their own stories. Each character is masterfully written and well-developed. Each one is interesting enough to become the main character and feels relatable. The attention to detail the author has given in this book is fantastic. The continent has its rich history, customs, animals, local dialect and religion. Brilliant narration and inherent foreshadowing of events make this book a great read.

Since the characters have a local dialect, it is confusing to separate the dialect and typos. However, there are a few typos which are not related to the dialect but are genuine typos, but they are only a handful and can be corrected with another round of proofreading. It has negligible profanity but has a decent number of sex scenes.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The reason I deducted one star is that the story takes time to set itself up, and a reader can lose interest before reaching the good part. Also, the ending feels a bit rushed, and when a book is over five hundred pages long, a better conclusion is expected. Also, there were a few typos which were noticed while reading. Other than that, I think the story was good and the characters fantastic. I recommend this book to all readers who like rich fantasy world-building and memorable characters in their book.

A Grim Light Rising
View: on Bookshelves
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I've always loved stories with rich characters and have an interest in medieval history. This book sounds like a lot of fun.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

In as much as I love your review, I'm not sure I love tragic endings as much. Thanks for the review by the way.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

Thank you for the nice review. However, I do not know what to make of the book yet.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems engaging, but I'm a bit concerned about the use of dialects, as I'm not a native English speaker, so that might be a bit of a problem for me. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book.
emilyfabbri01
Currently Reading: A Grim Light Rising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emilyfabbri01 »

I am intrigued by the premise of the book, as I like studying Medieval Europe and am an avid fantasy reader. I look forward to following the characters story arcs and hopefully learning something from them in the process. I will either write another review when I am finished the novel or as I finish each chapter, to give better feedback.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”