Review by ValeriaU -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Review by ValeriaU -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by ValeriaU »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. It presents us with various stories, told to us by many different characters who all have unique experiences and views on the events happening in Voulhire. We see the story of Galen, a young boy that traveled to this strange country to receive the inheritance his uncle left him. We follow Eldus Alderman, the recently appointed lord of the small city of Hillport, as he uncovers the mysteries his evil predecessors left in the city. We learn the hardships of ruling as we join the ruler of Voulhire, King Wilhelm. We even get to explore inside the minds of the not-so-good people of this world, from the terrorist group that terrorizes the land, to the evil mage, Meldorath, whose death is debated among the people of Voulhire.

Being the first book of a series, A New Arrival Under Great Skies has a ton of exposition, but Matthew Tysz did an excellent job keeping the story interesting. He was able to maintain a balance between the events that happened in the past and the ones happening in the present, making both feel equally important. The author also made sure to fabricate not only a remarkably interesting world but also create several different cultures and beliefs that go with it, making this magical realm feel realistic and complete. In my opinion, these are my favorite parts of the book, how the world was so meticulously created and so beautifully described that it feels like an actual place.

I can honestly say that there was nothing I didn’t like about this book, it was fun, exciting, and all in all, a great read. Not only was it an amazing book on its own but it also set up the story for the next one on the series beautifully. Matthew Tysz wrote an ending that felt complete, as it gave us answers to various questions that were presented during the story, and at the same time, left conflicts that are to be resolved in future installments.

As the book was well edited and had a fantastic story, I will give it 4 out of 4 stars. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is an amazing stand-alone book and an even greater opening for the series. The book is magnificent, all the stories were interesting and the characters likable. I don't think it deserves anything less than a perfect score.

I would recommend this book to teenagers and older who like fantasy stories. There are a few mentions of sexual assault against children, but it’s very minor. The book does contain some violent scenes but nothing extremely graphic, there is also some light cursing.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

There's nothing like a great first book to get you hooked to a series! I love fantasy and I'm very excited to check this one out. Thank you for the great review!
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

I have seen so many of this books sequel. Can I read this as a standalone?
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html

Post by ValeriaU »

honesty_pays wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 14:07 I have seen so many of this books sequel. Can I read this as a standalone?
It is a good book on its own but it leaves a lot of questions open. I wouldn't recommend reading this as a standalone.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
mpaula1810
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mpaula1810 »

I find it exciting when an author is able to create an entire world within the pages of a book. Thank you for your review, it makes me want to read the book. :tiphat: :geek2: :ugeek2:
Visegura
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Visegura »

I'm exiting to read the book after reading your review. It is a short book that can be read in a day or or could provide several day for reading it?
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Your review was very persuasive, but I have not been able to develop a taste for this genre.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

Your review was really convincing.
However, I'm not quite sure what to make of the book yet.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Welcome to Voulhire! I hope you will also enjoy the next books. Congratulations for your detailed review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”