Official Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“You’ll think I’m crazy. That much is certain. You might even demand that I plead insanity after you hear my explanation. All I ask from you is to hear me out. Nothing more. Then you decide if the devil was there… or if he is sitting in this room right now.”

Benjamin Poe ends up murdering his only son, Gabriel, and the motive behind this murderous act is quite unusual. But he is ready to confess his story to his lawyer, Pierce Beaudoin, who took over his case. Poe had been leading a stressful life with his wife and son after the death of his beloved five-year-old daughter, Riley. The events in the story begin to unfold when a fire erupts at Gabriel’s workplace. Poe becomes suspicious that Gabriel started the fire, which resulted in the death of three people. A few days after the incident, Poe is called to the police station because a person named Crighton, who has big green eyes and seems to know everything about everyone, kept asking about him. Later, it dawns upon Poe that the person with green eyes was a manipulative, soul-collecting demon who had come to take hold of his son’s soul. Though protecting his only son from this evil, what grotesque phenomena made Benjamin Poe commit the heinous and cruel act of murdering his own blood, causing Poe to end up in prison and face capital punishment? What was the reason that a loving husband and a protective father became “the most hated and feared man to ever live” as the people of Lochton, Illinois have named him? And how does this first part of the book connect with the second half during which the soul-seeker brings the reader into the center stage of a conflict between good and evil?

Crighton, Lucifer’s best soul-catcher, is on one of his missions with a goal of bringing the soul of an angel, Ariel, to his master. Instead, he is captured by members of The Sovereign Sector – a group of scientists infamous for experimenting on supernatural creatures. A series of challenging and twisted happenings place both creatures, Crighton and Ariel, at a crossroad where difficult choices must be made before it’s too late. The budding romance between these two supernatural creatures echoes the earthly, tender love of mortals. Will Crighton’s evil nature relent before the fragile, beautiful yet determined Ariel or will he remain faithful to his master and hand her over to the ruler of Hell?

Soul Seeker: The battle between good and evil resides with… by Kaylin McFarren is a supernatural mystery novel that dwells between romance and horror, focusing mostly on Crighton and Ariel in this first book of the Gehenna series. These two main characters are developed in a writing style that delivers a frightening elegance. Crighton, who finds satisfaction in collecting souls to satiate Lucifer’s famished nature of devouring them, is developed at an exhilarating pace. The storyline was thoroughly engaging, and the active exchange of the dialogue made the characters seem as if they were having their private conversations in front of me.

The supernatural beings are presented in such a humanized fashion that, when both the demon and the angel flew into the vortex of space to heaven and hell, it left me in shock as I completely forgot they can do that. In contrast, the funny moments were those such as the realization that they still needed to comb their hair, despite their supernatural powers. The crossover themes and fantasy-based, forbidden romance aspect are both wonderfully imaginative. The only thing I disliked was the time when I needed to get up and switch on the light because of the ghostly, frightening moments described in the scenes. Nonetheless, I can’t wait to read the sequel to this cliffhanger.

The creativity by which the love scenes are presented throughout the book compliments the whole story and leaves a sense of delicious pleasure. I failed to find any unprofessional editing, which was a plus while reading. Any fantasy lover, supernatural enthusiast, and mystery-craving person would find him or herself completely engrossed in the story. However, any reader sensitive to “the bloody spectacle” should keep a protective distance. A handful of swear words were used enabling me to distinguish between the emotional reaction of anger or disgust. This book charts a complex thematic course of mystery, fantasy, romance, and supernatural and decidedly earns the excellent rating of four out of four stars.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Benjamin killing his son is disturbing. But for some weird reason, I'm happy about the demon in the mix because it helps exonerate Poe to an extent. Now I can blame the demon for Poe taking Gabriel's life. Plus I'd like to see what happens in the second half of the book.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Wow! This book, the storyline, your review...intriguing and interesting.
I don't know which element excited me the most as I read this review. Whether it was the supernatural mystery bit, or the forbidden love, or the murder suspense. I find everything about this book intriguing, the unique and elaborate storyline, as well as the interesting and well-developed characters. I'd definitely read this book if I get the chance to.
BTW, your ghost and light experience cracked me up 😄.
I enjoyed reading your review. You wrote a very captivating and engaging review.
Live and let live, baby.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

When I started your review I had the feeling this was just another family murder mystery but it’s so much more. Your review had me very interested and this book will be on my TBR!
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Sounds like an interesting book. I wouldn't normally enjoy a book when a parent has killed a child but I admit the supernatural elements of this book make it interesting. Thanks for a great review.
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

Romance, mystery and crime. It's my thing. I am looking forward to read this book. Thanks for the review though
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

I found the writing style really engaging apart from the intriguing plot. Well written review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing, but a supernatural thriller can be intriguing, and this one seems to keep the readers' attention until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

Based on your review. The book reminds me of the Lord's of the Underworld Series by Gena Showalter. Thanks for a in depth review, Look forward to reading this book.
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This sounds like a really creepy story. I already like the title. I might give this book a try. Thanks for the chilling review. :techie-studyinggray:
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a well-detailed review. This book sounds so interesting and intriguing. I'd love to read this, I'll therefore add it to my shelf.
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

I have read Soul Seeker and have as well written a review on it. It is no doubt an excellent story. I was captivated by this book from the beginning to the end of it. There was nothing to dislike. I as well gave it a 4 star rating. Kaylin McFarren is an excellent story teller. You did a wonderful review.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Ohh! looks like a mysterious chain murder plot. The idea of bringing the soul of an angel is a supernatural challenge! Great review, InStoree. Wished to grab the book to read in full, soon. Thanks.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like the crime and mystery part but not the supernatural part. I am sure about this. Thanks for your review.
Leroy2017
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leroy2017.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Leroy2017 »

sounds scary with the demons and killings, but I like the fact that its complimented with love scenes easing the tension. Great review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”