Official Review: The King's Trial by M L Farb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: The King's Trial by M L Farb

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The King's Trial" by M L Farb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yosyph is the young leader of an underground rebellion against the wicked queen who sits upon the throne of Lansimetsa. Under the guise of a mute tavern servant, he listens in on the secret meetings of the queen’s guard and rescues innocent men from the gallows. When he learns of the queen’s plans to enslave a third of the population because of the foreign blood that runs through their veins, he knows he must act quickly.

His mother’s people inhabit the savage desert lands outside Lansimetsa. To reach them and receive their help, he must survive the King’s Trial, a series of puzzles that lead through the heart of the water-parched and rocky terrain. The strength he needs comes from an unexpected power that lies within, but he must learn to yield that power and trust in the God of his people or be consumed by darkness. Can Yosyph learn to use his gift honorably in time to save the kingdom he left behind?

The King’s Trial, by M. L. Farb, is an exciting young adult fantasy with an inspirational message. Christian readers and those looking for an encouraging story of triumph will enjoy this clean, engaging tale.

I initially chose The King’s Trial because of the vibrant cover and the promise of an epic fantasy adventure. I mistakenly assumed that it would be a simple story of good triumphing over evil and happily ever after. I needed a familiar story to give me a good dose of encouragement to tough it out these last few weeks of 2020. Instead, I got something beyond what I could imagine. Yes, this book uses some familiar fantasy tropes, but Ms. Farb had a way of surprising me along the journey. I loved the thought-provoking concepts woven throughout the tale and the layers of complexity that became clear as the story progressed. Yosyph’s courage inspired me as he learned to trust God through his difficult trials and wield his powerful gift.

The story’s positive aspects didn’t end with Yosyph’s character growth. I loved Prince Halavant’s story as well. At first, I could not stand the whiney prince, but Ms. Farb also had a grand plan for Halavant’s storyline, and I grew to love this character. Aside from his growth through the circumstances he faced, there were a few surprises in his journey that kept me glued to the pages. I became more and more invested in the overall story as the author alternated from Halavant’s first-person perspective to Yosyph’s between chapters. I loved seeing how their stories came together in the end. The story’s final battle and climax were excellent, and I’m eager to check out the continuing story in book two, The King’s Shadow.

For readers who like strong female characters, there was also the lovely Katrin, who won the hearts of both Yosyph and Halavant. No need to worry, though; this was not a romantic fantasy with a love triangle. Ms. Farb did an excellent job of making Katrin a part of this story and using her choices to set up the next book’s premise. I think readers will appreciate how this book’s conclusion leaves you on solid ground—no cliffhanger ending—but eager to see how the open-ended questions will be answered in the following story.

As a parent, I appreciated the clean content of this novel and its well-edited pages. I found no errors or typos, and I loved the relatable characters. I think teens and adults alike can use relatable characters to escape into fantasy worlds, find hope and encouragement, and gain a healthy dose of motivation to face the trials of life and overcome in a good book like this. Maybe I’m overselling it, but this book contained a vital message that came at a perfect time for me in my walk of faith, and I truly appreciated the author’s ability to write that type of story. There was nothing that I disliked about the book. Therefore, I gladly give The King’s Trial a glowing 4 out of 4.

The King's Trial
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Yosyph is a weird name that carries some intrigue to me. I like the fact that he heads an underground rebellion against a wicked queen. And what's more? He's getting his information from right under the queen's nose. This'll definitely be a fun read!
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

This sounds like a great book that may lend itself to a series. I'm glad there is a strong female character as well, sometimes these are few and far between. Thanks for the review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Your enthusiasm is contagious! This sounds like a great read for fantasy lovers.
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

This book sounds amazing, and I really want to read it! I would also commend the illustrator, the cover looks fantastic!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Excellent review! I can tell you loved reading this, so I went ahead and downloaded my copy. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Today's BOTD is a young adult fantasy adventure that would be a great addition to any home or classroom library! Well-written and highly-rated, this first-in-series focuses on hope, courage, and overcoming obstacles. It's is sure to pull readers in with its engaging storyline and well-developed characters, while inspiring and teaching life lessons. Thank you again! :-)
Wayne Njoroge
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I don't know what saw. I am so pumped for this book. Can't wait to get started on it. Congrats to M. L. Farb for this amazing adventure thriller.
Subadeva
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Subadeva »

8) The King’s Trial, by M. L. Farb, is an exciting young adult fantasy with an inspirational message. Christian readers and those looking for an encouraging story of triumph will enjoy this clean, engaging tale.
meike schroeder
Currently Reading: Say my name
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meike-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by meike schroeder »

Sounds like a great uplifting story! I have a adolescent who loves to read and what better than an adventure book with a message. Great review.
blackat8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blackat8 »

I like it when the books have a good conclusion and relatable characters. Seems interesting. Thanks for the review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Good to know that this is not a love triangle or a story with a cliffhanger. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Amrita B
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrita-b.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Amrita B »

Sounds like a great adventure story. I have a nephew of 13 years old who loves to read such type of novels. Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I'll will recommend my nephew to read this book. 😌❤️
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an intriguing fantasy for young adults. I am glad the author added a strong female character to the story, and that the book is a nice, clean story for those who choose to read it! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Intriguing story with strong female characters and inspirational messages, looks like a good read. Will definitely give this book a try sometime.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am glad you enjoyed this book, and your review makes me want to read this. This sounds exciting and it's good to know that there are no cliffhangers. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”