Review by AnnOgochukwu -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Review by AnnOgochukwu -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Autumn Years, Not Golden But Interesting is a cartoon book that illustrates the challenges of aging. With a rich blend of humor and sarcasm, which eases the panic that often comes with talks of getting old, this book lays bare the coping mechanisms of 'downhillers'. This, I believe, is not to make a joke of the predicament of the elderly, but to ease the reading of this heavyweight topic. The book is divided into seven chapters, and each chapter illustrates one aspect of aging such as, living with an old brain, coping with younger people, health, and the likes of such. Cartoons, commentaries, and quotes are employed to drive home the message of this book.

Our Autumn Years, Not Golden But Interesting shows that there is so much "novelty, relatability, and humor in the way that the elderly cope," and that they deserve attention and respect, not pity. The book also makes a satire of the attitudes of young people and medical practitioners towards the old.

In the first chapter, Coping with Decline, an old man, stooped over his walking stick, laments, " I wish I could be what I was when I resented what I was." Another, with a victory smile plastered on his face, says to his also-aged mother, "...made it all the way around the block." Statements like this made me realize the humbling reality of being old, and how small things (that would pass as 'normal' activities), like walking, begin to mean more, while the big things, like setting world records, mean next to nothing. A particularly funny commentary on the cartoon of a frantic old man read, "To hell with the secrets of the universe! Where are my damn glasses!"

Still on the challenges of the aged, in another chapter, Life with an Old Brain, one quote goes, "My memory isn't that bad if you ignore the 48 hour delay," and the commentary on a cartoon reads, "If I don't write it down, it never happened." These statements cracked me up, but I didn't fail to get the message in them, the not-so-easy reality of the elderly. This book had me imagining what my latter years would be like, and in a way, it gave me the courage to not dread that time, but to accept the inevitable with a lighter spirit.

The most remarkable feature of this book was the illustration, it was the highlight of the book. I can't find the perfect words to express how artistic and fitting it was. The artists of this masterpiece, Aleksandar Jovic, Mike Wolfe, and Heroud Ramos did an impressive cartooning. The author, Arthur Hartz, was thoughtful in coming up with this creative piece. I'm curious to check out his other cartoon books. This book deserves nothing short of 4 out of 4 stars. I noticed only a few punctuation errors (especially in the characters' speech), but the formatting was perfect, so I believe it was professionally edited. My only complaint about this book is its tiny font size. One would have expected that a book that was written for, and about the elderly would have large and legible fonts, but the opposite was the case here. I had to tilt my device horizontally before I could make out the wordings of this book. Besides this, my reading was sweet and smooth.

I recommend this book to old and young alike. It makes for an entertaining but educating read. I think it's a necessary book for all. The book contains a few profanities and sexual allusions, so I do not recommend it to children. Besides, I doubt children would fully appreciate this book.

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Live and let live, baby.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe is an enlightening read for a large audience and would give it a try for sure :) It can also help to understand elderly people better. Thanks for a great review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Ellylion wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 10:30 I believe is an enlightening read for a large audience and would give it a try for sure :) It can also help to understand elderly people better. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for finding time to comment. 😊
Live and let live, baby.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love this book and wish to experience the life for myself. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Sounds like a fun read. I appreciate a good sense of humor
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Oh, I came across this book once before. The cover totally fooled me, as I thought it was a children's book :D. Nevertheless, your interesting review unfolds another aspect: the humor. While the life of an elder may be lonely and difficult due to their dementia, the characters manage to lighten it up with their funny statements, and I like that attitude.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Sou Hi wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 22:33 Oh, I came across this book once before. The cover totally fooled me, as I thought it was a children's book :D. Nevertheless, your interesting review unfolds another aspect: the humor. While the life of an elder may be lonely and difficult due to their dementia, the characters manage to lighten it up with their funny statements, and I like that attitude.
It is an optimistic book. You would love it. Thank you for commenting 😊.
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

valeriejane wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 20:36 Sounds like a fun read. I appreciate a good sense of humor.
Thank you for commenting 😊.
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Saint Bruno wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 16:39 I love this book and wish to experience the life for myself. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
You'd love it! Thank you for commenting. 😊
Live and let live, baby.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

The book sounds hilarious and eerie at the same time. Hilarious because I'm current relishing my 'hot-blood', and eerie because in years to come I could be having similar complaints as the elderly people in this book.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not sure Our Autumn Years is for me, but I enjoyed reading your beautiful and thorough review. Thank you!
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This is a really for each and every one of us. Time waits for no king. Thanks for such an in-depth review 👌
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

We should all be prepared for that time of life that comes with experience, but also some challenges. Thank you for this interesting review!
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

Thanks for such an amazing review. This sure would be an interesting and enlightening book to read. It's a reminder of the frailty of life and that the little things are sometimes most important. I'll like to read this book myself.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

At times, I love reading books that make heavy topic light (I said at times because I think that heavy topics should be seriously taken) whenever I need a break and I need some assurance that everything can be light if we try our best to make it light. I hope this book is wonderfully illustrated enough for me to read it. Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”