Review by kperm -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Review by kperm -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by kperm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you looking for a book full of adventures? Do you enjoy reading stories full of mysteries and unexpected plot twists? Is sci-fi one of your favorite genres? If so, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the perfect book for you. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, written by Matthew Tysz, is the first book of the Voulhire series. The book is set in Voulhire, a fictional country populated by regular people and mages and is full of mystery and magic.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies begins by introducing Galen Bray, a man born and raised in the Land of the Princes. After receiving the inheritance left by his great-uncle, whom he never met, Galen moves to Magnum Caelum, a city in Voulhire. In Magnum Caelum, Galen befriends Rowan, his uncle’s executor, and sets on a journey of learning his uncle’s craft, forging. The book follows Galen as he tries to get accustomed to Voulhire.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies also introduces us to the small town of Hillport. At the beginning of the book, we learn about the suffering the people of the town endured at the hands of the previous two Lords, Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath. In order to improve the economic state of the town and ensure peace and prosperity, Wilhelm, the King of Voulhire, selects Judge Eldus Alderman as the new lord of Hillport. Throughout the book, we learn about Alderman’s plans regarding the town and get introduced to his wife, son, and daughter.

There were many things that I liked about the book. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is written in a very interesting manner. Each chapter is devoted to one of the characters, and the chapters go back and forth between them. Most of the time, the narrator tells the story using the third-person point of view. However, when telling Galen’s story, the narrator uses the first-person point of view. I also enjoyed the fact that the book has a map of Voulhire and a reference guide that defines unusual words and phrases used in the book.

There wasn’t anything that I did not like about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. Matthew Tysz provided descriptive imagery of Voulhire and included very complex and interesting characters. I would prefer it if the book told a little more about Meldorath, a very powerful mage. However, I acknowledge that the author tried to keep the mystery of Meldorath in order to explore it more deeply in the later books. The book was professionally edited, and I was not able to find a single mistake.

Due to the various reasons listed above, I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. The book was captivating, and I can’t wait to read the other books of the series. I would recommend We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies to readers who enjoy sci-fi, magic, and mysteries. However, it is important to note that the book contains profanity and inappropriate comments. Therefore, I would not recommend this book to readers who are under 18.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

Yes the map of voulhire kingdom, i just went back to recheck it. Great read.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Great review. I would love to read this book.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review! I have read and enjoyed this book.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

I enjoyed the book too. Tbh, there's nothing that I found to be negative. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”