Official Review: The Sand Castle by K.S. Hollenbeck

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Sand Castle by K.S. Hollenbeck

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sand Castle" by K.S. Hollenbeck.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sand Castle by K. S. Hollenbeck has taken my imaginations on a fascinating ride that is hard to forget. The book is mostly about Flossie Abbot, popularly known as "the Flame" for her dazzling performances on stage before her incarceration.

In 1886, Flossie was convicted of adultery and thrown into Gila Territorial Prison. But even prison didn't seem to be a safe place for her. A notorious inmate, Kane, wants her dead at all costs. And Flossie must also sing in a venue outside the prison to make money for the prison's superintendent and his callous wife. Why did Kane want her dead so badly? Will Flossie leave the prison alive? These questions, dear readers, are intriguingly answered in this novel.

It wasn't an easy feat to summarize this book's plot because I didn't want to spoil it for you. So I had to divulge only a little of it to ensure that you can get as much thrill from the book as I did. I must say that Ms. Hollenbeck's work in this novel is praiseworthy. This 258-page book is rich in all the ingredients that make a novel hard to put down. With many events happening simultaneously in the book, I appreciate the author's use of the third-person point of view to tell the story. I also like how it helped me to get an unbiased perspective of the characters' motives.

Furthermore, the characterization in this book is top-notch! The characters in this novel appear so real to me. It helps that the author created each of them to be unique and essential to the plot. Even their styles of dialogue are distinct and believable. The characters are so relatable that I felt as if I knew them a long time ago. As a result, I wished I could talk to them and warn the ones I loved of the imperilment coming their way. I found my favorite character to be Jo due to how strong, resourceful, and funny she is.

What I liked the most about this novel is its satisfying end. I couldn't think of a more appropriate climax for the story. After the twists and turns, the suspense and comic reliefs in-between, I was happy that the book didn't disappoint me with an uninspiring conclusion. More so, the author's use of a popular newspaper's report for the epilogue is genius!

Nevertheless, I enjoyed Ms. Hollenbeck's narrating style. Her descriptions created clear images in my mind. I also liked the author's creative use of dialogues to relate the backstories of the characters to the reader. It helped the story to flow seamlessly and made the timeline of events easy to follow.

There were instances where the author switched from using a character's last name to his first name. I think that might confuse some readers, but I couldn't hold a grudge because of it. However, there are descriptions of people dying gruesomely in the novel, so readers who don't like such can skip it. Also, children shouldn't be allowed to read this book due to the violence and profanities therein. Otherwise, if you love fictionalized stories bespangled with romance, mystery, humor, and intrigue, this should be your next read. This book is exceptionally edited and devoid of errors. And since there wasn't anything I disliked about it, I am glad to award The Sand Castle a deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

The Sand Castle
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Why on Earth was Flossie, as an inmate, expected to make money for the prison's superintendent and his wife?
The plot seems interesting. You did an amazing job with the review, it is in itself captivating and intriguing. I might just consider reading the book.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nqobile771 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 07:39 Why on Earth was Flossie, as an inmate, expected to make money for the prison's superintendent and his wife?
The plot seems interesting. You did an amazing job with the review, it is in itself captivating and intriguing. I might just consider reading the book.
I enjoyed reading it, I must say. Thanks for finding time to read my review.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Intriguing plot and top-notch characterization - the best two parts we are looking for when choosing a book. Your review is well written. Thank you for introducing this book.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Well, just from your review I'm able to feel the read. I can't wait to flip the pages of this book. Thanks for this awesome review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Wow, great review that certainly captured my attention! Flossie sounds fascinating and I now want to know her story. Thanks for such a great review without spoiling the book, that's not easy to do!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Vannaskivt wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 20:46 Wow, great review that certainly captured my attention! Flossie sounds fascinating and I now want to know her story. Thanks for such a great review without spoiling the book, that's not easy to do!
You are welcome. And thanks for the kind words.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nelson Lyric wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 14:03 Well, just from your review I'm able to feel the read. I can't wait to flip the pages of this book. Thanks for this awesome review.
Thanks a lot for the kinds words and for finding time to read my review.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Ada Ling wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:36 Intriguing plot and top-notch characterization - the best two parts we are looking for when choosing a book. Your review is well written. Thank you for introducing this book.
This book has it all. Thanks for the kind words and for finding time to read my review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

After reading your enthralling review I know I have to add it to my list. Thank you very much for the recommendation!

Return to “Historical Fiction”