Official Review: Santa's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Official Review: Santa's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Santa's Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered why we hang stockings on the mantle for Christmas? Well, Len Foley takes a stab at answering this question in his children’s book Santa’s Smelly Socks!

It’s Christmas Eve, and Santa and his team of reindeer are on their way to deliver gifts to the people of Sloppy Town. They’ve left him a surprise of their own, however. Santa’s absolutely disgusted by the piles of stinky, dirty laundry all around the town. How can Santa try to show them the error of their ways? Will they change their stinky ways?

Len Foley’s book is full of gross humor that would probably be most appealing to 3- to 8-year-old children. I was honestly expecting the book to be more about the gross humor than the plot, but I was pleasantly surprised. There’s a strong storyline with a nice twist that will teach children about both humility and the importance of keeping things - and ourselves - clean.

The illustrations in the book are a little eclectic, which makes them somewhat difficult to describe. There’s a backdrop that sets the scene, but then the details - like Santa, piles of dirty clothes, or the town sign - look like they’ve been pasted on top of it. Overall, it gives off a collage-type vibe. This style, along with the vibrant colors, really makes the focal points pop.

Sometimes, when text is placed on top of images, it can be difficult to read. Thankfully, that’s not the case here. Foley has fun with the text, varying the size, color, and font to emphasize certain words. There’s a rhyming scheme as well, which gives the story a nice cadence and rhythm.

I found a few errors, the majority of which involved absent dialogue tags. I didn’t find the errors distracting, however. So, I am happy to award this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thought it had a nice message, and the humor was just gross enough to be funny, but not so gross that it could be labeled as inappropriate. If you want to share a nontraditional Christmas story with your children, you should consider reading this one to them.

Santa's Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

What a great review! You sound like you really enjoyed this book, even the grossly smelly details you so aptly describe! I can see this being a great little Christmas gift for children. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.
lynnwwork
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lynnwwork »

With Christmas on the way, this will be perfect. Christmas is many people's favorite holiday, it is definitely mine. Snuggled up by the fire with my nieces, reading to them this seemingly unpredictable book, that sounds like the perfect evening. I am actually quite curious to know exactly what unfolds in this book. It can teach the children the importance of keeping their environs and themselves clean, that is a huge plus. Already giving it a four out of four just for those simple reasons. Looking forward to enjoying this with my nieces.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading with my kid. The more detailed the illustrations, the merrier. Thank you for your well-written review. :tiphat:
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Oh my, when I read the title, I thought it would be about Santa's own socks; turned out it's the town's socks Mr. Santa has to endure. Poor Santa, I hope he was able to teach the sloppy people of Sloppy Town a lesson :D.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I am glad to read that this book is not only about gross humor but also has a decent plot to it!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

:occasion-santa: :occasion-snowman: This sounds like an adorable book, despite the 'gross' humor! Children seem to find grossness funny, and what could be better than including Santa in the story to teach them a lesson? Sounds great, and your review was excellent!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

The title and cover page made me want to read the book, but I first came here for the review of the BOTD. Gross humour - yep that will certainly appeal to my kids. I am happy to read the positive review mentioning the drawings, the text font, the cadence. I will now go and read my free copy - thanks!
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

This seems like a fun Christmas read for younger children who enjoy gross humor.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Now that I think about it, it is strange that you hang socks over a fire place...

I like the way this story sounds, but I'd rather not teach my siblings any more gross humour. It just simply isn't my taste, and I doubt my mom would like it as well.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

A delightfully humorous children’s book with eye catching illustrations. A great book to gift a kid at Christmas. Great review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting and hilarious children`s fiction novel highlighting Christmas, Santa Claus, humor, humility, and the importance of cleanliness. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @LenFoley on the BOTD.
blueberryncheese_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blueberryncheese_ »

This is great! Thank you for your review you have just helped me in selecting the book that i will be reading to my niece. I think this is perfect! Not only because my niece kept asking me about Santa but mainly because you mentioned the strong storyline which will teach children about both humility and keeping things & ourselves clean. Also you made it seem fun to read and children learns best when they are having fun. I think this is very timely Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Happy Holidays!
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

Sound like a funny children's book. I would definitely get the book for my little sister or maybe I could read it to her.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I'm curious about this book even though I am not a child. Will check it out. Especially about writing and how funny it is. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Children's Books”