Review by sanjus -- The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach t...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach t...

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement" by Anthony Simola.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Roving Mind A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola is a self-help book, which is targeted to the audience that is on the pursuit to improve their intellectual performance. For the students who are building up their academic career or the employees who are into the profession that demands a competing cognitive performance, this book has some good takeaways that are beneficial for both of them. This book is divided into three sections namely, the foundations of the intelligence, the plasticity of the human mind, and marching to the singularity.

The first section focuses on the foundations of intelligence and elaborates on the definitions of intelligence and distraction. Moreover, it also gives some basic insights into the different kinds of foods, nootropics, and the tonics for boosting intelligence. The second section is about the plasticity of the human brain and the various methods that can be applied to shape the brain and make it more intelligent. The third section is about marching towards singularity and covers the mapping of the human brain, psychopharmacology, and super intelligence by augmentation or by artificial means.

What I liked the most about this book is the author’s efforts of collecting information from many sources on all the techniques that are available today for boosting human intelligence and serving it in one book. The detail description of the pros and cons of each technology and the potential risks involved in its usage as well as the legal regulation problems in incorporating them is explained clearly, and I found the same very much helpful. The only thing I disliked most in this book is that this book wanted good editing because I observed numerous spelling and grammatical errors in it, which was hindering the fast pace of reading.

I recommend this book to the students who are pursuing higher education as well as to the employees whose job require higher intellectual performance. Moreover, this book is also valuable to the people who wish to retain their intellectual performance in their old age. However, I do not recommend this book to children and teenagers because they may not on their own understand the concepts clearly and the potential risks involved while incorporating some of these procedures described in this book into their daily life.

The contents of this book are very much helpful, but it requires thorough editing as there are plenty of grammatical errors in the form of punctuation marks and few misspelled words and also incorrect words. Moreover, numerous random hyphens were spread in most of the paragraphs in this book, which hindered the flow of reading, and it took a long time for me to finish reading this book. One of notable error was in the sentence “If you have food allergies, you must eliminate foods that can trigger a reaction, as well—dairy, wheat, eggs, or soy.” where “reaction, as well—dairy“ should have been “reaction as well, which could be dairy ” for more clarity. Another notable error was in the sentence “More importantly, this applies to the development of various skills: we are gradually reverse-engineering skill acquisition, itself also a skill and this book is part of that process.” Where "acquisition, itself also’‘ should have been "acquisition, which itself is also” for clarity. Had this book been well edited, I would have given all the four stars for the indispensable information given in it. However, I am giving only 3 out of 4 stars because of its editing requirements.

The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sanjus's review? Post a comment saying so!
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

The opportunity to grow smarter looks very tempting. Thanks for the review!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Wow, this book packs a punch! I would love to read it. I'm certain i'll learn a lot from it.
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

I'd really love to know what food and tonics boost intelligence. The 'plasticity of the brain' also piqued my curiosity; I really want to know what it's about.
Thanks for the in-depth review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your insightful review. This book looks useful for those who wish to improve their intellect or preserve it for their old age. However, since it also seems to contain some risks, I wonder if the author's methods are tested or certified yet.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would definitely read this one! Hopefully the author fixes all the issues. Seems like the book can be useful and interesting not only to students :) Thanks for a great review!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I found the book title a bit complicated but you explained perfectly what the book is about, thanks!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am not a bog fan of self-help books, but this one seems interesting. Thank your for your recommendation!
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

Self-help isn’t really my area of interest but your review was great!
S_hreya
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-hreya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S_hreya »

I have been thinking about adding non-fiction to my reading list for some time and this seems like a good book. I'll definitely read this! Thanks :D
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

As a student this seems like something I will really need in the future! Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I saw tonics for boosting intelligence and became more interested. I need to read this book. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

This is the right book for me. I would benefit from the intellectual improvements I could possibly get from this book.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Enhancing cognitive performance is an intellectual exercise we could all notably benefit from. The mind possesses a hugely commendable degree of plasticity; it’s quite fascinating in that regard! Thank you for providing such a thorough and insightful review.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems worth reading. Who’s doesn’t want to get smarter!?😃 I definitely want to read this book. Thanks for your insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”