Official Review: The Deeper Shadow by A.M. Adair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: The Deeper Shadow by A.M. Adair

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Deeper Shadow" by A.M. Adair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As suave as Bond and as deadly as Bourne, CIA Black Ops agent Elle Anderson leads a small, elite team charged with taking out the most dangerous terrorist organizations around the world. After barely surviving her last mission, Elle is back in the field, but this time the stakes are higher as she struggles to recover from the trauma. With a job to do, Elle cannot afford to be an emotional wreck or distracted in any way, but PTSD is threatening to unravel her mind. In her line of work, this could ultimately spell doom for her and her team.

Elle’s next target is Gerard Fior. Operating out of Djibouti, on the Horn of Africa, Gerard is a charismatic and deadly arms dealer, financier, and facilitator of terrorists. He might also be linked to the monster responsible for Elle’s capture and torture. Elle will need all her wits about her if she has any hope of immersing herself in his world and ultimately defeating him. With her mind in turmoil, can Elle see the mission through, or will her battered psyche betray her most unforgivably?

Without a shadow of a doubt, this book is well worth a 4 out of 4 stars rating. The author did an exceptional job in the conceptualization and execution of the book. The second book in the Elle Anderson series, The Deeper Shadow by A.M. Adair, takes the reader on an action-packed, fast-paced, and exhilarating ride from start to finish. Neither the sex scenes and violence nor the colorful language were in any way gratuitous. The writing was concise, and the dialogue flowed organically. The author’s background in the Navy, particularly in the Intelligence Community, served to bestow upon the plot an added layer of plausibility.

The highpoints are endless. Every element or theme employed in the book was necessary for plot cohesion and elevated the storyline beautifully. Adair’s unconventional approach to the reality of the impact of PTSD was laudable. The harder Elle fought to find her bearing as the proficient operative and team leader she once was, the more out of sync with herself she became without realizing it. The irony was that the PTSD also appeared to give her an upper hand in her dealings with Gerard Fior and probably helped protect her cover and saved her life.

Additionally, I liked how Elle’s personality seemed to have been molded after a cross between James Bond and Jason Bourne without downplaying her femininity, but instead using it to add depth to her character. It was refreshing to have a strong female protagonist that felt genuine and relatable play such a kick-ass role. Elle was a formidable character, highly intelligent, and very resourceful. You cannot help but be drawn into her world. She also had relatable flaws, and her struggles with post-traumatic stress felt so real that my heart went out to her.

I could not find a single thing to dislike about this book. The near flawless editing leads me to believe that it was professionally done. Another thing I am particularly pleased with is the fact that this is a series, which means I have more of Elle Anderson to look forward to. I have already acquired the first book and cannot wait to dive in. I see a TV or movie adaptation soon. Given the graphic themes, The Deeper Shadow is not ideal for children. Fans of high action espionage thrillers with a well-rounded female protagonist should not pass up the opportunity to enjoy this enthralling read.

The Deeper Shadow
View: on Bookshelves
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Female action character, count me in! Sounds like a fast-paced thriller. I will check it out. Thank you.
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

I like novels and films with a strong female protagonist. I surely will like this book. Thank you for the review.
lynnwwork
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lynnwwork »

This book was all the way captivating. Words simply fail to explain how the author appropriately depicted Elle. Her character is not built around the fact that she is a female. The book does not dwell on the "strong female lead character"
idea, it in turns shows a strong leader who happens to be a woman. An amazing read. I would definitely recommend this one.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an exciting spy thriller made stronger by a well-developed protagonist. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
domo_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by domo_ »

This seems like an exciting spy thriller made stronger by a well-developed protagonist. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

That's a great opener for the review; It has to be an exhilarating read from what you describe. I have to get myself this one. Thank you!
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

I finished this book yesterday and I can't stress enough how much I loved it. Elle is a formidable character and I found really interesting the change in character because of PTSD. This is exactly my kind of book with the needed twist: a kick-ass female protagonist.
I can't wait for the next book to come out. And I confess I'm praying to see a little more of Julian this time around!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”