Official Review: Estelle by L.M.Heath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Estelle by L.M.Heath

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Estelle" by L.M.Heath.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Estelle and her brother, Jesse, were born into a family whose way of life is considered taboo in the kingdom. They believe in the teachings of the Floras and take their faith seriously. After the Emperor ordered the killing of their parents, Estelle and Jesse had to live with their aunt. Eventually, they were both chosen to be students in the Emperor's Academy and serve the kingdom in different departments.

Estelle and her brother continued to pray for the strength to serve the Emperor, even though he murdered their parents. Perhaps they were destined to be at the service of the Emperor, but for what purpose? You have to read Estelle by L. M. Heath to find out.

This book is set in the 5th century BC. It is a perfect blend of coming-of-age, romance, and conspiracy stories. I enjoyed the author's use of the alternating-person points of view throughout the narrations. It helped me to understand the sentiments of the main characters better. I also liked the songs in the book. My favorite is "Caius' Song." I found myself trying to give matching tunes to the lyrics. Even though my results were hilarious, I enjoyed the feeling.

What I liked the most about Estelle is its characterization. I like how lifelike the characters are. I found myself getting worried about their safety. There were times I was so happy with their achievements that I had to call myself to order. My favorite character is Jesse! If you find Estelle to be your favorite, please know that I don't have anything against female characters. I just found Jesse to be brave, focused, intelligent, and compassionate. I also enjoyed how suspenseful the reading experience was for me. I couldn't wait to find out what happened at the end of the story. It helps that the author's descriptions are so vivid, which made me feel as if I was watching an epic movie on a big screen.

I must report that my reading experience wasn't all rosy. This book's editing leaves a great deal to be desired. The errors in the book are annoyingly distracting. Sometimes, I didn't even understand the dialogues due to the myriads of typos and grammatical errors therein. In two chapters, I found the name of the character whose perspective is featured to be wrong. Even though I wished for a breathtaking climax and didn't get it, this book's poor editing is what I disliked the most.

To conclude, I am taking a star off the book's rating due to its editing mishaps. Therefore, I am rating Estelle three out of four stars. Considering that I managed to enjoy the book despite the errors, I couldn't have rated it lower. I am recommending the book to both teenagers and adults who like stories about ancient empires, conspiracies, and romance. But I would advise prospective readers to delay reading this title until the author rectifies its editing issues.

Estelle
View: on Bookshelves
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The plot of this book doesn't interest me, but I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm old for this type of novel and romance is not my thing, but the setting and the plot are intriguing. I hope the author does another round of proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Wow what a nice read. i would love to read and find out how Estelle and Jesse coped.
Thanks for the review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a good book, though it’s a pity about the issues you mentioned. I like the sound of the unique characters and the intrigue in the story. Thanks for the great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your synopsis of the story and the moral dilemma that Estelle and Jesse faced. It would be interesting to follow the development of Jesse that you have described! Thanks for the recommendation.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This sounds like a nice story filled with conspiracies and well-developed characters. Too bad the editing is not very good, as the errors can be very distracting.
28sunshinebeauty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 28sunshinebeauty »

Wow!! The story sound so interesting and it sound like it will end up with good lessons.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like books set in the olden days and the story of Estelle and Jesse also feels quite interesting. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I will happily dive into this novel as soon as the author releases a revised edition. I love the setting, and the story seems intriguing. Your excellent review was entertaining to read. Thanks!
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Howdy Saint Bruno,
You nearly got me invested in this story with the way you abruptly ended the plot summary. You sure know how to write breathtaking reviews. I hope it all turns out well for Estelle and her brother.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 04:58 The plot of this book doesn't interest me, but I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
Thanks a lot for stopping by.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

NetMassimo wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 07:44 I'm old for this type of novel and romance is not my thing, but the setting and the plot are intriguing. I hope the author does another round of proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Oh! Nevertheless, I must thank you for finding time to read my review.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Luluwa79 wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 10:46 Wow what a nice read. i would love to read and find out how Estelle and Jesse coped.
Thanks for the review.
Please find out. Thanks a lot for reading and commenting.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Pluma wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 19:24 This sounds like a good book, though it’s a pity about the issues you mentioned. I like the sound of the unique characters and the intrigue in the story. Thanks for the great review!
Yea, I hope the author rectifies them. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”