Official Review: Old World by Steven Turner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Official Review: Old World by Steven Turner

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Old World" by Steven Turner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Old World, written by Steven Turner, is a science-fiction novel that follows the life of John Living, a sixty-seven-year-old man with a great sense of humor. At the beginning of the novel, John reminisces about his exciting childhood, filled with a flatulent aunt, an ogre, and frightened parents.

In his current life, however, John has managed to get himself trapped in the Old World — a parallel universe filled with creatures such as dragons — and has no way of returning to Earth. Before he disappeared, he had an important date with a woman he liked very much. He also left behind a caring sister who would do anything for him. So, can John find a way to return to Earth just in time for his date? You have to read the book to find out.

All in all, I had a lot of fun reading this book, as the sense of humor in it was superb. Indeed, there were so many funny moments that I found the book to be wildly entertaining. My favorite character was Bubba, an ogre whose English was — to put it mildly — not the best.

Furthermore, I thoroughly enjoyed the banter between the characters. For instance, the banter between John, Cathy (John’s sister), and Alex (Cathy’s husband) was often hilarious, as they liked to tease each other. My favorite scene was when Cathy and Alex visited John on his birthday, as I still remember the funny moments from that scene.

The one thing I liked the most was the collection of illustrations in the book. In fact, the illustrations helped immensely with my imagination, and I could not be more glad that the author included them. Moreover, some of the creatures described were so complex that I do not think my imagination would have been sufficient. Truly, the author did a great job of creating a believable story filled with bizarre, funny creatures that felt just as real.

Nevertheless, I had one issue with the book. Getting to the latter part, I felt that the pace slowed down, and that made the book a bit boring for me. Apart from that, however, I enjoyed the rest of the book.

All things considered, I rate Old World 4 out of 4 stars. Although I had an issue with it, I do not think it was enough for me to deduct a star from the rating. Further, I believe it was professionally edited, as I found only a few errors in it. I also found some vulgar language in it. Lastly, I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys reading science-fiction novels.

Old World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It sounds like John's old world was far more exciting than his current one but I guess that could be because now, in his old age, he is unable to do much. It also seems like he enjoyed life in his younger days and created a lot of beautiful memories.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Great review, thank you! This sounds like such an interesting book. I always love fantasy stories where the characters could literally meet any creature the imagination can conjure. I might check this one out.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

It sounds like this book is a lot of fun. It can be difficult to achieve playful banter that is actually entertaining to the reader but it sounds like this author has the formula down. This is a wonderfully rounded review and your enthusiasm for the book seems genuine.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

I really like the sound of the humour in this story; it seems like a book would enjoy. Thanks for the great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love to read a book with a great sense of humor! Thank you for your recommendation and this interesting review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

That seems like a unique novel with all the humor around John's story and its illustrations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”