Official Review: A Vanishing Kind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Official Review: A Vanishing Kind

Post by Teele »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Vanishing Kind" by John Wamsley and Stephen L Davey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you observed kangaroos in the wild? It could be pleasurable to watch them move about gracefully in their natural habitat. However, keeping plants and animals safe in their habitat can be a daunting task. A Vanishing Kind by John Wamsley and Stephen L. Davey is a biography that gives a detailed account of the struggles that went into the establishment of the Earth Sanctuaries Limited Company in Australia.

John was a born bush-lover. The opening chapters of the book describe how John rose above difficulties and grew into a strong and industrious youth. His love of mathematics did not keep him away from the bush. John's intimate knowledge of the workings of the natural environment aided his efforts in conservation. It was eye-opening to read about the influence of feral plants and animals. John and Proo stood against the odds and created an organization that kept native plants and animals safe from extinction. However, how would the company fare against corrupt officials and changing government regulations? Would John succeed in keeping the bush as a permanent part of his life?

A Vanishing Kind was written with a professional touch. The narrative is straightforward in an easy-to-read format. It contains valuable information on plants and animals. I gleaned some facts about the relationship between woody pines and surrounding vegetation. I also learned a few tricks on keeping animals within a fenced perimeter. There is much to learn from John Wamsley. Through the ups and downs in life, he remained determined and positive. His strength of character is admirable. He is a go-getter. This is what I love most about him. At a point, the 'world' turned its back on his mission, yet, he managed to survive with Proo's support. His story emphasized the value of having the proper motive for chosen pursuits in life.

This book is free of sexual and violent scenes. The book is also suitable for readers of all religious sensitivities. However, there were instances of non-borderline profanities in the text. The narrative was written in simple grammar to aid understanding. Relevant pictures are positioned in strategic locations throughout the book. The pictures lent credence to the story and made it much more engaging.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no dislikes about this book. The text was free of typographical and grammatical errors. The order of events was well-arranged without confusion. It contains a wealth of information on wildlife conservation techniques. I would recommend this book to lovers of wildlife conservation and to others who love biographies.

A Vanishing Kind
View: on Bookshelves
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds fascinating! I would love to learn more about Australia and wildlife conservation there. Thanks for a great review!
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I truly enjoy books with an educationally unique focus. Learning more about Austria (a place I've never been to but always wanted to go) would be so fun for me. Especially since right now no one can travel! Thanks for the great review.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

Conservation is an area in passionate about. The Australian bush has such a unique array of plants and animals it’s easy to see how someone could love the desolation. Conservation work goes deeper than a lot of people realize and I’m glad John took the time to share such details.
Teele
Currently Reading:

Post by Teele »

Vannaskivt wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 17:09 I truly enjoy books with an educationally unique focus. Learning more about Austria (a place I've never been to but always wanted to go) would be so fun for me. Especially since right now no one can travel! Thanks for the great review.
Sararob06 wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 23:46 Conservation is an area in passionate about. The Australian bush has such a unique array of plants and animals it’s easy to see how someone could love the desolation. Conservation work goes deeper than a lot of people realize and I’m glad John took the time to share such details.
Bookworm101520 wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 00:15 This book sounds fascinating! I would love to learn more about Australia and wildlife conservation there. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Conservation is indeed an interesting field.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Wow, I’ve not as so much been awed by a review of a non fiction like this one. I’m intrigued by how precisely the review detailed the character of John, it wielded strength and pure intelligence. It’s motivating.

I look forward to enjoying this non-fiction. thank you for an honest review.
Teele
Currently Reading:

Post by Teele »

Pearl Akpan wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 04:41 Wow, I’ve not as so much been awed by a review of a non fiction like this one. I’m intrigued by how precisely the review detailed the character of John, it wielded strength and pure intelligence. It’s motivating.

I look forward to enjoying this non-fiction. thank you for an honest review.
Thanks for your encouraging comments. I hope you do read it.
Desicouponer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Desicouponer »

This book is beautifully written about Australia wildlife. The place I always wanna to visit.!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a well-written, easy-to-understand biography about the efforts, struggles, and accomplishments of John Wamsley in his life-long quest to keep native animals and plants safe from extinction. It's filled with valuable information and visuals, as well as positivity! Thank you for the awesome review! I've added this to my WTR list! :-)
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I like wildlife. But I don't like it to the extent to read an autobiography related to wildlife protection. Anyway, congratulations on being BOTD
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Good memoir of Dr. John Wamsley with an emphasis on his establishment of the Earth Sanctuaries Limited Company in Australia. The motive of keeping plants and animals safe in their habitat, nature friendly is indeed an interesting concept to read more of him. Your review showed an insight of the tale in gist, Teele. Thanks.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I like that there was an inclusion of pictures. It feels like this kind of book calls for it. Great editing too. Thank you for your wonderful review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I don't know anything about wildlife conservation techniques but am very interested to read about it, since it plays an important role in overall ecological thinking.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

It would be great to read about the conservation efforts being done in Australia. I like that there are pictures too. Thanks for your review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

An autobiography about a man who did a great service towards wildlife protection should be a good read. But I will pass on it since I don't prefer the genre much. Congratulations on being BOTD

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”