Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by aacodreanu »

The relationships were OK. A bit artificial, as every one of them brought something to Ron. It is as if the character only revealed the successful ones, or the author used the relationships as just a way to steer the action in a certain direction. In an ideal world they would be genuine and rewarding.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Certainly! You don't need multiple relationships to bring out the best in you. It is even the other way around in my own view--it's best to avoid relationships when you're still trying to achieve something in life. Still, Ron's multiple love relationships didn't particularly dampen my enjoyment of the story.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Certainly! You don't need multiple relationships to bring out the best in you. It is even the other way around in my own view--it's best to avoid relationships when you're still trying to achieve something in life. Still, Ron's multiple love relationships didn't particularly dampen my enjoyment of the story.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 In the story, Ron has one relationship after the other. On my part, it dampened my interest in the story. I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
I think the relationships were important because Ron learned something from each one and I think that in turn contributed to his final comprehension of Regina's work.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

I liked the multiple relationships because each one was meaningful in its own way, and Ron was faithful in each one to my knowledge. I haven't finished the book yet but that's my impression so far.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 11:45 I don't think that the number of relationships that Ron had was necessarily a negative thing. It certainly did not change my opinion of his character one way or the other. Generally, having many relationships can be a positive thing because it teaches people how to deal with different personalities. I think each relationship he had, taught him about himself. I agree that Cheryl was very insightful.
I agree, and I liked seeing how he got something different from each relationship. Most characters only stick with one person, so this take was interesting to read.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 23:23
valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:30 I liked that the book had an aspect of romance. I think it made Ron more vulnerable and believable. Over 15 years, it was not that many women. He also respected his marriage vows, so the relationships were positive.
~ Valerie
What I didn't like as much was the fact that Ron didn't fall in love with Regina. He had a crash on her when they first met but his zeal diminished with time. Part of the reason he is able to stand up into a real relationship with Sheila is because of his improved self awarenesses. I also agree that the relationships weren't numerous.
I think Ron feared Regina because she was much older than him, so out of respect for her, he opted not to make it known to her that he was in love with her. As for the multiple relationships, I think they were helpful for Ron. Each person that Ron had a relationship with helped expand Ron's perspective on life. Personally, I can't imagine Ron's character without those relationships, he would've been boring.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by aacodreanu »

derialist wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 02:42
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 23:23
valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:30 I liked that the book had an aspect of romance. I think it made Ron more vulnerable and believable. Over 15 years, it was not that many women. He also respected his marriage vows, so the relationships were positive.
~ Valerie
What I didn't like as much was the fact that Ron didn't fall in love with Regina. He had a crash on her when they first met but his zeal diminished with time. Part of the reason he is able to stand up into a real relationship with Sheila is because of his improved self awarenesses. I also agree that the relationships weren't numerous.
I think Ron feared Regina because she was much older than him, so out of respect for her, he opted not to make it known to her that he was in love with her. As for the multiple relationships, I think they were helpful for Ron. Each person that Ron had a relationship with helped expand Ron's perspective on life. Personally, I can't imagine Ron's character without those relationships, he would've been boring.
I think that the woman makes the first move, no matter what the general belief it. If Regina had wanted Ron as her physical lover, she would have had him. What they had was more precious, it was transcendal if I may say so.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by JGretz-7 »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 11:52
Muvokav wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 07:37 I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him". I also understand that even in real life not everyone finds "the one" on one try , so I can not fault him for this. Ron's numerous relationships did not make me enjoy the book any less.
I believe the multiple interactions revealed Ron's true nature and his behavior towards those he had love for, made the narrative interesting. I cannot find anything wrong with the relationships, what fascinated me is how fast he fell in love. The occasion where he meets Regina ends up with him falling in love.
I don't see Ron's relationships necessarily as him being madly in love with any of them. It was almost more like he fell into relationships of convenience. His deepest bond was with Regina, but since it grew out of an orphan's prepubescent crush, it isn't a wonder that it was so strong that he'd give up his wife and career for it. I am grateful though that Ron's and Regina's relationship never became physical. I think it would have ruined Regina's strength and just made it all seem 'icky' for lack of a better word.
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I think Ron's multiple relationships are meant to depict the reality of current romantic relationships. Moreover, he grew up as a foster child and didn't have good example to begin with. Having said that, I felt sorry for Ron because he never really experiences a deep emotional bond with his spouse and vice versa.
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

The introduction of other relationships builds Ron's character and knowledge. I'm not sure that I needed as much detail about those relationships as I received. Sometimes I wondered just what it had to do with the main story.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Having multiple relationships almost made me loose focus on the books storyline as I was trying to keep up with reading the book and still remember his relationships. Its stressing!!!😂
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

If I claim that I'm indifferent about this, I'd be lying. As a matter of fact, I didn't understand why Ron had to be in different sexual relationships. I'm not cool with it!
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

This was a part of this book I disliked. In reality I'm not a fan of such people so in books I read I prefer not read of such persons. I believe people who hop from one relationship to the other have self esteem problems.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

I don't believe one needs to be in relationships to become a better person, but I believe that as we relate with one another, we glean a thing or two from one another. That said, if Ron desperately want to be a better person, all he needs is his decision not multiple relationships.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”