Official Review: Rescuing General Patton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Rescuing General Patton

Post by Abacus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rescuing General Patton" by Curtis Stephen Burdick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Curtis Burdick has written a stunning fictional story infusing the characters with total authenticity. I imagined I was standing in a room with General Eisenhower and General Bradley and felt their emotional response to startling news about General George S. Patton.

A military historian, John Harding, was signing copies of his latest book when an older woman introduced herself as Julia Patton Walton, General Patton's granddaughter. Julia gave John a package that she had received from her mother and asked him to read it. John read about a classified event that happened to General Patton in 1943 and was a tightly kept secret for the last fifty years.

In 1943, the Germans were being run out of Italy through the Peloritani Coastal Mountains in Sicily. General Patton was not happy and called an "URGENT" briefing at the 7th Army headquarters of division and brigade commanders who were exhausted from a month of continuous combat. General Patton was angry that the Germans were getting away, he thought they should be imprisoned or killed, or the US troops would reencounter them after they regrouped.

Great characterization at all army ranks supports the wartime ambiance. The author highlights the sense of fighting against all odds, making decisions under immense pressure, and making deadly mistakes. The men tasked with suicide missions develop a feeling of grievance when field headquarters made mistakes.

There are some breathtaking scenes in Rescuing General Patton where the rangers parachute into German-occupied territory and land in a minefield. The rangers are not trained for parachuting and get one day for practice jumps, then a nighttime mission. The ranger captain loses some first-rate men, and others are needlessly injured; he is deep down angry with his superiors.

During the planning for General Patton's rescue, a scene between General Bradley and Captain Pizzio demonstrates the horror of war for those giving orders. Like the parachute jump into a minefield, brave soldiers get killed and maimed for no gain. General Bradley appeals to Captain Pizzio, "I can't even remember all the mistakes that have been made that I have made, that cost so many lives, thousands of lives. But the war doesn't stop for us to mourn."

There are very detailed descriptions of the weapons used in combat; anyone interested in armaments will be fascinated. The exciting pace of this story keeps you wanting to read and unable to put the book down.

I rate Rescuing General Patton 4 out of 4 stars for the exciting pace and military wartime ambiance. I do not rate it 3 out of 4 stars because it is brilliantly imaginative and great entertainment. I enjoyed reading about the army in combat and seeing the war from different perspectives. I detected no errors and believe it is professionally edited. There was nothing I disliked.

I recommend it to lovers of mystery, war stories, armaments, and historical fiction. There are profanities, typical of wartime situations, like "sonsofbitches" and "goddamn," but no sex. I believe it would be suitable for young adults.

Rescuing General Patton
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Silpi B
Currently Reading: My Angel My Hero
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silpi-b.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Silpi B »

I have always, been intrigued by war stories, mysteries and historical fiction, and this seems like the perfect blend of all the elements. I am really interested in reading this book now. Very few authors can retain the authenticity of the army ranks when they write a literary fiction. It's nice to know that Curtis Burdick has been able to do that. It makes me want to read the novel all the more.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

ephemeral_happiness wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 00:16 I have always, been intrigued by war stories, mysteries and historical fiction, and this seems like the perfect blend of all the elements. I am really interested in reading this book now. Very few authors can retain the authenticity of the army ranks when they write a literary fiction. It's nice to know that Curtis Burdick has been able to do that. It makes me want to read the novel all the more.
I would like to hear your comments when you have read the book. Thanks for replying. :tiphat:
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

I must say this review is wonderful, it is quite a glimpse of what to expect in the book.

Historical fiction is always awesome. I love the fact that the author took time to elaborate weapons used in the war and it being historical I Sense some overwhelming page turn. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

Historical books don't intrigue me, but this review has been successful in showing readers what to expect from the book.
Silpi B
Currently Reading: My Angel My Hero
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silpi-b.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Silpi B »

Abacus wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 10:42
ephemeral_happiness wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 00:16 I have always, been intrigued by war stories, mysteries and historical fiction, and this seems like the perfect blend of all the elements. I am really interested in reading this book now. Very few authors can retain the authenticity of the army ranks when they write a literary fiction. It's nice to know that Curtis Burdick has been able to do that. It makes me want to read the novel all the more.
I would like to hear your comments when you have read the book. Thanks for replying. :tiphat:
Would surely let you know!
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Nelson Lyric wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 11:44 I must say this review is wonderful, it is quite a glimpse of what to expect in the book.

Historical fiction is always awesome. I love the fact that the author took time to elaborate weapons used in the war and it being historical I Sense some overwhelming page turn. Thanks for this wonderful review.
A good page-turner is always fun! Thanks for commenting.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Faithy_Star wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 08:08 Historical books don't intrigue me, but this review has been successful in showing readers what to expect from the book.
Thanks for the positive comments. I have to walk a fine line writing too much about the story and the right amount describing the structure, etc. Also, find identifying spoilers quite hard; it seems quite subjective to me. For example, if an event happens in the first chapter, how can that be a spoiler?
Alyssa1019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alyssa1019 »

I just got done reviewing this book. I had a very hard time getting into the story. It was not from any character's point of view and though there was a lot of description when it came to the weapons and gear. There was very little description about where they were. It was very hard for me to place myself into the scene. Not one of my favorite reads.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Alyssa1019 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 21:40 I just got done reviewing this book. I had a very hard time getting into the story. It was not from any character's point of view and though there was a lot of description when it came to the weapons and gear. There was very little description about where they were. It was very hard for me to place myself into the scene. Not one of my favorite reads.
Sorry to hear that. I was born just when the Second World War started, so I know the background very well. Probably made all the difference.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Silpi B wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 00:16 I have always, been intrigued by war stories, mysteries and historical fiction, and this seems like the perfect blend of all the elements. I am really interested in reading this book now. Very few authors can retain the authenticity of the army ranks when they write a literary fiction. It's nice to know that Curtis Burdick has been able to do that. It makes me want to read the novel all the more.
You have a treat in store.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing historical fiction novel highlighting a beautifully told story based on real-time events and people. The book is temporarily discounted on Kindle Unlimited and has a masterfully written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Wayne Njoroge
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I love historical fiction especially those centered around war. I look forward to reading this novel.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a fictional book about world war 2 when the Germans were outrun in Italy and fleeing. Congratulations BOTD!
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

This is a historical fiction about the activities of the US military during WWII. War stories are always fused with historical facts that makes them very interesting to readers.

Return to “Historical Fiction”