Review by Pearl Akpan -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of t...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Pearl Akpan -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of t...

Post by Pearl Akpan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One thing Matthew Tysz has easily done is enthrall his readers with his limitless and creative imagination. We Are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind is the sixth book in the thrilling and mysterious sci-fi series.

Throughout this book, We Are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind, Voulhire is infiltrated by the looming presence of the Emperor of Lullabies and his nighty-nights; leaving the whole city of Voulhire in an endless loop of fear and uncertainty. And while King Nartik does not surrender, the ambassadors don’t fail to make their looming appearances in other cities like Ballerhall and most notably in Cridae.

Meldorath works his way to Caromentis in the same manner as the famous King Javikun. As one of the most powerful mages, his presence immediately poses a threat to Javikun’s rule in Caromentis. Galen also finds himself in Caromentis and with the help of Beth finds a way to make himself more useful than confused in this new world.

It is in Diamora, where Demetrius in the company of Rowan continues to groom his ambitions and where the craziest plot twist also take place. Demetrius once again, discovers who might be responsible for the evil and odd happenings in Diamora. And if you rightly guess, the demon-slayer once again, has to get rid of the evil in Diamora. While Meldorath and Javikun are blinded by their obsession to kill each other and rule the Caromentis, Galen completely has other things in mind and maybe, just maybe, there might be some hope for the great city of Voulhire.

There’s barely anything to dislike about this book, and like the prequels, the author's imagination knows no bounds. I loved the characters in this book, specifically, that of Lady Angela Veyls. I appreciated how the author built her character as a confident and very strong-willed woman. I was also impressed with the development of Galen’s character, and how he displayed a higher sense of maturity and perception through out the book. I believe any reader would appreciate the development of characters in this book with particular reference to the characters of Galen and Meldorath.

And can I just state that I truly respect the writer’s ability to express details in such a manner that evokes the rawest of emotions? So many event left me shocked to my bones and completely awed. One element that is never missing is the element of suspense because, with Matthew Tysz you never know what’s gonna happen next. However, what I found oddly unnecessary was the scene where Harper harassed the servant boy. I also couldn’t appreciate some points of view in this book and I thought they were rather excessive.

Overall, I commend this book and it’s author. I encountered no typos that disrupted my enjoyment of the novel and I must say it was exceptionally edited. Therefore, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I will recommend this book to any sci-fi fan and of course, anyone who has already started the book series should continue. I must, however, discourage any reader from reading this book as a stand-alone because, most of the events and characters are developed from the events in the prequels. So, reading this book as a stand-alone might make the understanding of the plot and appreciation of the development of events and characters a bit sparse. But, I will not recommend this book to any reader below 18 as obscene and vulgar languages are employed and they may be quite provoking to the reader.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly sounds like an intriguing book. I haven't read any other books in the series yet; I am considering it, however. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Prisallen wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 15:21 This certainly sounds like an intriguing book. I haven't read any other books in the series yet; I am considering it, however. Thanks for your wonderful review!
It is an i hope you enjoy it just as much if you decide to take it up. thank you for stopping by.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I've read just Book 1 so far, so I have a long way to go. I hope to catch up with Galen soon.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read only the first book of this series and I liked it, so I'm planning to go on with its sequel, even more knowing that they're great as well. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 14:46 I've read just Book 1 so far, so I have a long way to go. I hope to catch up with Galen soon.
i hope when you do, it’s nth short of interesting. thank you for stopping by.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

NetMassimo wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 18:25 I read only the first book of this series and I liked it, so I'm planning to go on with its sequel, even more knowing that they're great as well. Thank you for your terrific review!
sounds good! thank you so much for your kind words!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I have only read the first three books in this series, and one of my major issue with it is the dearth of strong, established female characters. So it’s good to know that we have the presence of Lady Angela Veyls in here. Her character sounds promising.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

So true, the book has very many twists and turns and an excellent world-building! :) I loved it very much too. Thanks for a great review!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 21:19 I have only read the first three books in this series, and one of my major issue with it is the dearth of strong, established female characters. So it’s good to know that we have the presence of Lady Angela Veyls in here. Her character sounds promising.
I’m convinced that you’d like what the author did with her character. thank you for your kind words!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Ellylion wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 15:32 So true, the book has very many twists and turns and an excellent world-building! :) I loved it very much too. Thanks for a great review!
Glad we share in this excitement. Thank you for stopping by!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

All the books in this series seem to be worth the read. I am happy that you found this one to be worth it. Thanks for the insightful review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Saint Bruno wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 09:30 All the books in this series seem to be worth the read. I am happy that you found this one to be worth it. Thanks for the insightful review.
I wholly agree with you; they are completely worth it. thank you for your awesome feedback!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

First, let me say that this is a beautifully written review. Your writing style flows easily, and you hit every point needed to make up a comprehensive review. Well done! It becomes more and more clear with every '"Voulhire" book that these are not standalone. I've read some of Tyz's other works, so I know I enjoy the way he writes. This series seems aimed more toward an older YA crowd than adults. Would you agree? At any rate, I do intend to start the series...eventually.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have only read the first book of the series, so I am seeing many new characters that I am not yet familiar with. I enjoyed your motivational comments about Tysz's writing style and his ability to insert unexpected twists into the story. Congratulations on getting up to book six! You are inspiring me to get going on this series!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”