Official Review: They're having a Laugh by Bob Price

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Official Review: They're having a Laugh by Bob Price

Post by Menace Crypto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They're having a Laugh" by Bob Price.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While most people believe that politics is a dirty game, some others believe it’s neither dirty nor honest. Either way, it’s still a game and every game requires strategy and concentration to be good at it. They’re having a Laugh by Bob Price is a sci-fi/fantasy based political thriller that centers its story on how the British Prime Minister, Rupert Streaker, navigates through politics in the British government.

The plot is set in 2020, a world similar to ours where a virus which is referred to as COVID plagues the world, and this makes everything done by the government open to heavy scrutiny. Before the virus, members of the public were easily distracted from the affairs of the government, but now care must be taken when playing the game of politics because all eyes are on them. The book begins with Prime Minister, Rupert Streaker, getting alarmed after reading the headline News. The media had managed to dig up a scandalous picture of him having sex with one of his Under Secretaries while he was still in the University. He called his top fixer, Jonathon Bandip, to help take care of the mess. Streaker plays a dangerous and intelligent type of politics, he also has a dream of being remembered and loved by the people, so he looks up to the works of people such as Churchill and Thatcher. Grab a copy of this book to find out if this dangerous way of politics lands Streaker’s name in the bad or good part of the history books.

Many people have a misguided notion concerning political books. I once had a mindset that all political thrillers were boring. Fortunately, I came in contact with a few books that changed my mindset. They’re having a Laugh is one of those books that can blow your mind completely. It takes the reader on a ride through the political world. You get to experience every thrilling feeling associated with making political moves. It doesn’t just give an outline of things associated with politics, it allows you to travel into the world of the characters and get to experience everything they feel. The storyline of the book is a very interesting one, the author did a very wonderful job of developing the story. The story was very compelling with several topics to spice it up. It contained blackmail, extramarital relations, power moves, and lots more.

The book’s characterization was top-notch. It had well-developed major and minor characters whose roles were clearly expressed. My favorite character in the book is Rupert Streaker. The way he played politics in the book just gave me a very exhilarating feeling. The scenes were also well-developed, and the descriptions helped to paint a very vivid image that depicted a real-life setting. The structuring was also excellent. It was divided into seven chapters with numbered pages.

There was nothing to dislike about this awesome book. The story was concise and interesting, which made sure that the reader was never bored or tired. Unfortunately, I encountered some errors which showed that it could use another round of professional editing. I’d have loved to give this book a perfect rating, but the errors are enough to warrant a deduction of one star. Therefore, I’m rating They’re having a Laugh 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of political stories.

They're having a Laugh
View: on Bookshelves
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

Thanks for the honest and very insightful review, but I think I would pass on this one. Am not really a fan of political based books, but I think people who are would definitely love this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I partially share your skepticism about political stories, but you're advocating for this one yourself, so it must be truly remarkable, and its other elements are indeed intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Combining a political thriller with sci-fi is a really strange idea. However, thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”