Official Review: Tales from Hallowed Ground by Noel Wing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: Tales from Hallowed Ground by Noel Wing

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales from Hallowed Ground" by Noel Wing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales from Hallowed Ground by Noel Wing is a collection of seven short horror stories. All of these are on the supernatural and psychological suspense side. However, there is a bit of gruesomeness thrown in at times. "The Lighthouse" tells the story of a lobster fisherman who is continually drawn back to a mysterious and somewhat haunted lighthouse. "The Date" demonstrates a cautionary tale of what can happen when you don't lead a kind and humble existence. 

Other stories involve demons, devils, ghosts, and shadows that come to life and swallow up victims. Each tale is unique and complete in itself. All of the stories come to some sort of conclusion, though some leave the reader wondering long after. The cliffhanger-like qualities to the endings of most of the stories could be seen as lazy or simply typical of this genre of stories. 

I enjoyed this book. These were quick, fun, little reads and perfect to read around Halloween as I did. I love horror stories, and I think the short story genre suits these types of tales. The author also clearly has a love and appreciation of horror, and this shows through in the writing. There are accompanying pictures for each story that help to set the tone and to help the reader visualize more clearly what the author had in mind. 

My favorite part of this book was how well it was written. It was clearly professionally edited, and I only noticed a couple of easy-to-miss typographical errors. It is always refreshing to read something that has been written and edited with care. While none of the stories were incredibly original as far as horror stories go, I enjoyed them all just the same. My only complaint is that they were not very scary. I would have enjoyed being frightened a bit more. 

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was well-crafted and contained some interesting stories. It was short and enjoyable to read. I felt it could have been a little scarier, but I suppose that leaves it open for more varied readership ages. I recommend this book to fans of horror and suspenseful short stories. I think it is appropriate for most ages, but maybe very young readers should beware. This is a pleasant little book to curl up with in front of a fire on a cold and windy winter night. Just make sure you lock your door first. 

Tales from Hallowed Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Silpi B
Currently Reading: My Angel My Hero
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silpi-b.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Silpi B »

Such an intriguing review! I am recently very much into short stories and this book just seems like the perfect read. Ghost short stories with that special element of mystery is always welcome. I would love to give it a read soon. The winter season definitely demands for such books.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

The author did a commendable job of putting seven short stories in a book and it sounds thrilling.
Thanks for the detailed and well-written summary and review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some nice horror stories can be fun to read despite the reservations you mentioned. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

I don't enjoy horror stories at all. I'll pass this.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”