Official Review: Ruby by Cathy Coburn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Official Review: Ruby by Cathy Coburn

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ruby" by Cathy Coburn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ruby was not an ordinary child. From the day she was born she was different from other kids. She made most children uncomfortable, and even most animals seemed afraid of her. Although her mother knew she was different, she did not want to admit that there was something evil about Ruby. At the age of eight Ruby’s behavior escalated. Is Ruby really that different or is she just misunderstood? Ruby by Cathy Coburn is a fictional tale of Ruby Parker and her family.

Patricia and Thomas Cummings lived next door to the Parker’s. When Patricia came home one day, she found Ruby crying in the Parker’s yard. Ruby had blood all over her. Patricia also found Ruby’s brother Bobby in a catatonic state. She went into the house and found Mrs. Parker taking her last breath. Patricia set out to prove that she knew who the murderer was, even though it was difficult to get people to believe her. I liked Patricia’s character throughout the book. She showed a sense of humor, compassion, and persuasiveness. She understood when to plead her case and when to just keep quiet and let people figure it out on their own. She took in Bobby and Roberta (the grandmother) even though she did not need to. I felt that she was a wholesome, kind, down-to-earth person who provided strength and stability to those around her.

My least favorite character in the book was Ruby. She had some great character traits, such as being cute and very intelligent. Unfortunately, she always used these qualities to get what she wanted and to manipulate people. Ruby was often sarcastic and devious, especially when she talked to Patricia. Her intelligence allowed her to handle situations that most adults could not handle. In fact, during the story she became hunted and alone as an eight-year-old. She managed to survive on her own, which would normally be admirable for someone so young, but she was so manipulative and creepy that I kept wanting her to be found. I could almost hear her taunting voice as I read.

This book kept me spellbound and I read the book in its entirety in one sitting. I could not wait to see what would happen next. The story was captivating from beginning to end. The ending could lead into a follow-on book. Unfortunately, there were multiple spelling, capitalization, and word usage errors. Because of the errors, I regretfully give the book 3 out of 4 stars instead of four stars the story deserved.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mystery thrillers. This book is appropriate for teen readers to adults. The language is not inappropriate and there are no sexual scenes. There are brief descriptive murder scenes which some readers may find inappropriate, but they provided some necessary detail to the story. The author definitely got my attention, and I would like to read more books from her.

Ruby
View: on Bookshelves
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

The book sounds fascinating and I would like to know what happened to Ruby afterward.
Thanks for the detailed summary and well-written review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I can't wait to read the book for myself! You did a great job with the review, congratulations!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing mystery with some vivid characters that can make the novel even more engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The cover is what caught my attention--spooky! It sounds like a book that will have readers on the edge of their seats trying to figure out what is wrong with Ruby! Thanks for the amazing review.
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

The book sound to be very interesting, I can't wait to find myself what's wrong with Ruby. Thanks for the nice review
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

This book looks extremely fascinating. I would like to know more about this Rubby.
Great review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Luluwa79 wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 08:18 The book sounds fascinating and I would like to know what happened to Ruby afterward.
Thanks for the detailed summary and well-written review.
The book was very well done and the story of Ruby could certainly be in a sequel. Thanks for stopping by.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 11:47 I can't wait to read the book for myself! You did a great job with the review, congratulations!
Thanks for taking time to read my review. Enjoy the book.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

jokinyo wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 21:44 This book looks extremely fascinating. I would like to know more about this Rubby.
Great review.
I hope you choose to read the book. I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Tonze wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 03:45 The book sound to be very interesting, I can't wait to find myself what's wrong with Ruby. Thanks for the nice review
Enjoy the book. Thanks for stopping by.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 12:05 This seems an intriguing mystery with some vivid characters that can make the novel even more engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the book.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 12:10 The cover is what caught my attention--spooky! It sounds like a book that will have readers on the edge of their seats trying to figure out what is wrong with Ruby! Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks for taking time to read my review. I hope you enjoy the book.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

ouuuu, this sounds like a blockbuster for novels. reading the review is making me curious as to how the author put the elements together to make such a story.

Wonderful review
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Pearl Akpan wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 14:26 ouuuu, this sounds like a blockbuster for novels. reading the review is making me curious as to how the author put the elements together to make such a story.

Wonderful review
Thanks for taking the time to read my review. I hope you read and enjoy the book as much as I did.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”