Official Review: Devoted Lyon by Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Official Review: Devoted Lyon by Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Devoted Lyon" by Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So, back when I took history in secondary school, there was an emphasis on primary sources being the best kind that you could get your hands on. Anything from letters to journal entries to eyewitness accounts was viewed as being this sort of treasured resource that could enhance the veracity of your work.

It’s why I practically jumped at the chance to read Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton’s Devoted Lyon. More than anything else, this work is a compendium of Lieutenant Colonel Malcolm Bowes Lyon’s letters and journal entries throughout a long and service-filled life. As his grandson, Douglas-Hamilton has compiled his grandfather’s papers into a chronological time capsule of Britain and the lives of the aristocratic class in an era long gone.

The book documents his childhood, his time as a soldier, and his time as a civilian worker during three consecutive wars (the Boer War, World War I, and World War II). We see Malcolm go from being the sixth son of the Bowes Lyons to a war hero and an established gentleman over the span of his life. This would come to include his marriage to wife Winnifred and the birth of his only child, as well as his service in different parts of the British Empire. As such, the book offers a rich, detailed look at the state of the world at the time.

Despite all else, I liked this aspect, so I didn’t hesitate to award the book 3 out of 4 stars. It does, however, have its problems. This would come to include issues with formatting, several grammatical errors, and the level of detail offered by Malcolm’s letters and journal entries.

Regarding the latter, this was particularly egregious because of how repetitive the entries often became. For example, he would go shooting several times a year. So, the author felt it necessary to include not just every occasion but the exact number of game shot as well. While this was useful for showing the decline in game post-World War II, it made it harder to get through the book.

This would also apply to the number of visits and trips mentioned as the level of pure minutiae was difficult to read. While I’m not opposed to this normally, it often felt like I was reading the same passage over and over again. It was also hard to follow and made retaining information difficult.

This was also a problem with how the information in the book was presented. Several names would be introduced without explanation in the author’s commentary, so it was hard to determine who was related to whom at times. For example, late in the book, there was someone referred to as Lilibet that I had trouble placing as Queen Elizabeth II until it was later mentioned. This would also be a problem with regard to determining who was related to Malcolm by blood or by marriage.

The inclusion of a family tree made it easier to keep track of everything. Though, placing it at the end of the book rendered it too little too late. It meant that I had to flip back and forth just to make several connections.

That being said, I still rated it as high as I did because I loved the historical aspect of the book. As a piece of British history, it gave valuable insight into how soldiers and civilians were affected by nearly a century of war in one way or another. It was also useful in looking at how things have changed regarding the world at large.

If you love history and personal anecdotes, I suggest reading this. It’s rich with detail and minutiae, though that may sometimes be to its disadvantage. Still, it kept me reading and interested in the daily lives of Malcolm Bowes Lyon and his family.

Happy reading everyone!

Devoted Lyon
View: on Bookshelves
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Though this in not my kind of book, I enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Such a nice memoir.
Your review was also helpful in understanding the book.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an interesting book, although I think the overly detailed parts would bother me. Thanks for the thorough review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”