Official Review: Dreaming of Neverland by Janet Contreras

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Dreaming of Neverland by Janet Contreras

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreaming of Neverland" by Janet Contreras.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read Peter Pan and been left with too many questions? Like, how could Peter fly? Have you wondered why he could understand Tinker Bell? If so, Dreaming of Neverland: Peter's Story by Janet Contreras is the book for you.

Peter Pankhurst is an adventurous little boy who is quite good at getting himself into trouble. Used to being the center of attention, his world is turned upside down with the arrival of his baby sister. He soon realizes, though, that this affords him newfound freedom to explore, as all eyes are on baby Annie. He starts with small adventures - a trip to the end of the block. Soon, he's brave enough to explore the park on his own. When he learns that a pirate ship will be docking nearby, he begs his parents to take him to see it. When they refuse, he sets off on his own. He decides there would be no harm in taking a peek inside, but he doesn't count on falling asleep and stowing away onboard. Where will Peter end up? Follow along on Peter's greatest adventure yet.

I've heard or seen a few retellings of the Peter Pan story including Hook, but I've never seen a prequel that explains the beginnings as does Dreaming of Neverland. I was thoroughly engaged in the story. It would be fun to immediately follow this book by reading the original Peter Pan story.

I think my favorite part of the book was the author's grasp of a young boy. When his mom tells him that his sister will be moving in with him, she uses the word "sharing." He isn't sure what this word means; but, the more she talks, the clearer it becomes. Finally, he thinks: "If he was correct, he was quite sure he did not like this new word." I could vividly picture a young, troublemaker of a boy being appalled at having to share a room with a much younger girl. It was not just Peter's character that was well-drawn, though. Tinker Bell was quirky and fun as well. Ms. Contreras had a good grasp of the original story and characters and used this knowledge to tell her own tale.

There was nothing to dislike about the book. It's professionally edited, as I found only three small errors. The book is short enough to be an easy read. It's a chapter book, but the vocabulary isn't too advanced for younger readers. This would be a great story to read aloud as a family.

To summarize, I must give Dreaming of Neverland: Peter's Story 4 out of 4 stars. It further explains Peter Pan with great characterization and professional editing. I recommend it to families with young children, middle schoolers, or even adults that weren't quite satisfied with the original telling. However, it's not necessary to know or have read Peter Pan before starting this book. This is only the start of his adventures, though, so you'll most likely want to read more about him after finishing this book. I highly recommend Dreaming of Neverland. You won't regret reading it.

Dreaming of Neverland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a fun book, especially for fans of Peter Pan. Great review!
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

It appears to be a great adventure book. I loved how the writer used the Peter Pan story and formed a prequel of it. This was a great idea. The children might love reading this book.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Being a Peter Pan fan, I would definitely like to give this book a try! I do wonder, though,if Disney or whoever owns the rights of Peter Pan, has had anything to do with this book?
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Unfortunately, I have not read the original Perter Pan story and may not get the most out of this book. Thank you for your review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, a prequel to Peter Pan? I must check out this book then. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 01:31 This sounds like a fun book, especially for fans of Peter Pan. Great review!
It was very fun to read. The author did a great job. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

shamayelnur wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 04:40 It appears to be a great adventure book. I loved how the writer used the Peter Pan story and formed a prequel of it. This was a great idea. The children might love reading this book.
The story was brilliant. It's so fun to read. I know children would enjoy it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 10:17 Being a Peter Pan fan, I would definitely like to give this book a try! I do wonder, though,if Disney or whoever owns the rights of Peter Pan, has had anything to do with this book?
I'm not sure to be honest. However, it's a fun story. Definitely worth reading. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

REIGN GODDESS wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 12:49 Unfortunately, I have not read the original Perter Pan story and may not get the most out of this book. Thank you for your review.
Since this is a prequel, reading the original story isn't necessary. You could read it after reading this. Either way, it was fun. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Elvis Best wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 10:35 Wow, a prequel to Peter Pan? I must check out this book then. Great review!
I hope that you can enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I'm already in love with little Peter, for his bravery act. I hopehe enjoys the adventure. Great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 16:10 I'm already in love with little Peter, for his bravery act. I hopehe enjoys the adventure. Great review.
He's definitely adventurous! It's a good story to be sure. Thank you.
—Neil Gaiman
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Great review, makes me want to grab one of the Peter Pan story to indulge. Thanks.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Slater678 wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 05:24 Great review, makes me want to grab one of the Peter Pan story to indulge. Thanks.
You should definitely read this and Peter Pan! They go together so well. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”