Official Review: What Does A Caterpillar Do

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: What Does A Caterpillar Do

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Does A Caterpillar Do?" by David McArthur.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Does a Caterpillar do? is a cute children’s book by David McArthur. It has a wonderful theme about the uniqueness of each individual and is a lot of fun to read. Little ones will surely enjoy the way it's set up. Each spread of pages asks the readers if caterpillars have a specific quality. The question is followed by a big ‘No!’ and then readers find out what insect has that quality. The big reveal at the end shows the unique talent of caterpillars.

The illustrations by Lucy Rogers match the text well and are quite appealing, with the exception of the spider. That particular picture may frighten some very young readers. The spider has four eyes and is rubbing its legs together and licking its lips in anticipation of eating the frightened fly trapped in its web. Since the book is aimed at the very young (ages two to six), this might be too much for some little readers. All of the other insect drawings are quite friendly.

I enjoyed the happy nature of the text in this children’s book. The ideas were shared in an age-appropriate way. The illustrations were beautifully colourful and, mostly, quite good-natured. I would have liked the word ‘No!’ to look a little less imposing since it’s used so many times. Visually, the font reminded me a bit more of a reprimand than a smiling chance to learn something new.

This charming story reminded me of the Scholastic book Pelican and Pelican’t by Hans Wilhelm. It explores a similar theme but with animals instead of insects. They are both fun ways to explore the idea that not everyone can do everything and that that's okay. We are each special in our own way.

What Does a Caterpillar do? by David McArthur is a delightful children’s book. I recommend it for children between the ages of two and six. The text is simple and repetitive in a fun and informative way. I noticed no errors in the book. After having only a few thoughts about the illustrations, it is easy to say there was nothing to dislike about this book. I happily give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. As a final note, there is a lovely dedication at the beginning that mentions that all profits from this book will go to the Victoria Child Abuse Prevention and Counselling Centre.

What Does A Caterpillar Do
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
peace starts with a smile...
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What a lovely review! I was very curious to see what really does a caterpillar do :). It seems like it's a very entertaining and educational book with a social cause.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book looks adorable! Your descriptions really sell it for me. Thanks for a great review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"The text is simple and repetitive in a fun and informative way." - this is what the children range 2-6 years old looking for. Thank you for the nice review.
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I like the method the author chose to educate the kids. It's very entertaining and unique. It would be a perfect book for little ones!
Thank you for your delightful review! :D
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

A unique and interesting plot. Kids can definitely learn from this book. Thanks for your review.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

My youngest, who is three, may enjoy this book. He loves books that are fun and repetitive as you mention in your review. Thank you!
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

This book is a must read one, based in thus amaizing review i would like to find out what is under this colourful cover page.not only children enjoy childrens book i have a weakness for them i enjoy them mainly because they are short stories.
manishk2005
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by manishk2005 »

This book is just another name for perfection. This book shows perfection is every aspect i.e. illustration, text, theme, moral. Just perfect for small kids who feel bad for themselves. This book just them the moral that one day a day would come when they will flourish just like a butterfly. In another way however the picture of the spider is just too scary for kids. I think it should be a bit of humorous looking not scary.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The title of the book got me interested. I am a nature lover who loves caterpillars. I enjoyed your review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The title of the book got me interested. I am a nature lover who loves caterpillars. I enjoyed your review.

Return to “Children's Books”