Official Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Official Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inspirations by Colleen" by Colleen Bruce.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Honestly, I have never read a book of this sort, so I don’t know which non-fiction to classify it under. Inspirations by Colleen was written by Colleen L. Bruce, and it is a 153-paged book that is divided into 5 sections. It tells us a bit of Colleen's life in New England—the New England seasons' traditions and kitchen recipes, even her view on life.

The first section began with a poem written by her eldest daughter, Kimberly, which told us how they had lived and felt for generations. Going further, Colleen beautifully shared with us the New England traditions of the seasons, and one of them was reading out Abraham Lincolns' write-up called “Thanksgiving Proclamation” on Thanksgiving day—written in 1863. The other sections contained: Kitchen recipes, Food for thoughts, Insights, and Inspirations. I loved the last section of the book more because she talked about the 11th hour of our lives. She urged us to have a rethink on where we want to be, and who we want to be with here, and after the clock strikes 12.

I learned a lot from this book—the New England Recipes, poetry, write-ups, and inspirational quotes were all delightful to read. I loved that Colleen was generous enough to share her kitchen recipes with us. she made reading through it so compelling by adding an inspirational quote after each recipe. she also added Bible verses at some points in the book to buttress the message she was passing across. The pictures she added in-between sections made this book more exciting to read.

Though I enjoyed reading this book, I did not appreciate the fact that there was so much misuse of punctuation marks, mostly commas. I also noticed a lot of grammar errors that disrupted my reading flow, and I wondered if it was an error or the writer's style of writing. It seems this book was not professionally edited, so I would give it a 2 out of 4–star rating.

This book is a great source of inspiration for all ages, which is why I would gladly recommend it to the general audience, especially young adults. I feel we need it more in the course of our journey through life. I guess I should leave you with one of the strong messages the author passed across: “Wouldn’t it better to believe that God and heaven are real than to die and find out we were wrong?”

Inspirations by Colleen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

I actually like books that contain inspirational quotes. I think I need to read this book.
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

This book sounds like a great read to me. I am always interested in new recipes. Learning about life and traditions in New England is also a promising aspect. And who could not do with a bit of inspiration in his life?
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the book is interesting because it deals with the part of the United States that was pushed aside under the influence of Hollywood.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”