Review by Erandi Ekanayake -- We are Voulhire: The Fires...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Erandi Ekanayake -- We are Voulhire: The Fires...

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Riva's attack to Hillport has brought destruction not only to Hillport but also to Magnum Caelum's economy since now they have lost their iron resource. Therefore, as the request of the Magnum Caelum's mayor, Galen, Rowan and Demetrius set off to Virko, to find out a way to get iron to Magnum Caelum. In Virko, they get to know that Folcro, the son of Virko's current lord is keeping a bounded demon secretly, for an evil purpose. The lord of Virko, who is on the deathbed urges them to protect the citizens from the demon. Hence their mission takes a different path. Meanwhile, a doctor informs the Eiodi about a rapidly spreading virus and it is suspected to have a magical influence. Making it more dubious, the infected bodies show no symptoms.

Living in Hillport castle, the powerful dark mage, Meldorath too is getting prepared for an attack to regain his lost identity. What could be Meldorath's plan and does it have any connection with the virus? Will the Eiodi be able to figure out the true purpose behind the viral attack on time? At Virko, Galen's team is put into a huge difficulty as the priests at Virko's church refuse to help them. Tackling with demons is not an area even Demetrius has mastered, therefore will his powers be strong enough to control the bounded demon?

Arousing curiosity thus flows the plot of the fictitious novel, The Fires of Virko. This is the second book in the series of We are Voulhire by Matthew Tysz. This series prolongs altogether in nine volumes, crafting around a mythical empire named Voulhire, where cosmos realm and human world blend together.

The author does a marvellous job in developing the unique kingdom and the scenes in the book. He has provided a drawn map of Voulhire, making the imaginary world he created, more realistic. Plus with Tysz's incredible ability in handling the language, which is clear to comprehend and full of spirit, fans of the genre easily get lost in the pages of the book. The descriptive writing style is highly capable of illustrating dramatic mind pictures. Humour is brought out on several events, making the reading more entertaining.

When considering the characters, several new characters have been introduced in this book while Mianora, Riva and several other main role players in the previous book are kept in silence for a while, without any significant assistance to this particular part in the series. Folcro and Kayden are prominent among the new figures. As it is not the author's way to reveal the full account of the characters all at once, the contribution of them to the rest of the series is not apparent yet. Anyhow Galen, Rowan and Demetrius are still given the priority in this adventurous plot. For me, it is they who give life to it. The trio's strong friendship is highly commendable and I had a sense of closeness to the story, whenever they appear.

Overall, there is no doubt that this book deserves the perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There is almost nothing that I dislike about the plot. Further, I did not come across a single grammatical error. Perhaps I have just ignored them without even noticing, as my mind was deeply glued to the impressive flow of the story. Anyway, I can guarantee that there are no noticeable errors so I do not think saying the book is professionally edited would be a penalty.

Nevertheless, it includes a few scenes of violence, sexual assault and vulgar commenting. As they did not diminish my pleasure of reading, I did not reduce a single score in my rating. But due to the aforementioned reasons, I do not think that this would be appropriate for both the teenagers and sensitive readers. Yet I'm grateful to recommend this book to any mature adult, who is not sensitive to brutality or profanity but enjoys sci-fi and fantasy novels. I hope that all the future readers of the targeted audience would enjoy this book as much as I do. My advice is to read the first book before this one, to enjoy the story to the fullest. I'm eagerly awaiting to read the third book in the series, as well.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I hope to continue with the series and get to know the trio better. I can't help but compare them to the trio of Harry, Ron, and my favorite witch, Hermione. Onward!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read the first book of the series, I am happy to learn that this one doesn't drop the ball. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This review is very comprehensive and well-written. I’m glad you enjoyed this book. I have read this myself ang gave the same rating as yours!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I am not into sci-fi books so I will give this one a skip. Otherwise your review is well written. Thanks!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Kayden's tragedy was very appealing to me, but the excessive violence not so much. Thanks for a great review! :)
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book sounds very intriguing, as does the series as a whole. I haven't read any of them yet. It is something I am considering, though. Thanks for an interesting and comprehensive review!
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I've read the two previous installments and can't wait to dive into this one. I absolutely love this series. Thanks for your great review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I like the humor between Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius. They have only met for a while, but their closeness is something else. Thanks to them, the book's less gloomy. Meanwhile, I don't really think highly of the Eiodi.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have seen so many positive reviews for this book. It must be good. I don't have time to read it right now, but it's one I'll look into in the future.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I like your summary of the book. This book, The Fires of Virko was the second-best instalment in the series. Kudos to you, Erandi.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Regarding your comment about looking for errors:
" Perhaps I have just ignored them without even noticing, as my mind was deeply glued to the impressive flow of the story."
This has happened to me so many times. I get distracted by the plot and forget to look for mistakes.
Your review was delightful.
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I enjoyed reading the second installment of the series. The introduction of new characters made the story even more interesting. I can't wait to read the next book. Thank you for your insightful review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This series is powerful packed with adventures, action, and I'm engulfed in it. Great review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I have started reading this series and boy do I look forward to this second book already! Thank you for putting up this detailed review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”