Review by Nqobile771 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review by Nqobile771 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in the series of We are Voulhire. The book is a fantasy novel that delves into the world of kingdoms, religion, culture, magic, and supernatural forces.

The book follows the lives of several important characters who, at some point, occupied the highest offices in kingdoms assigned to them. Their kingdoms were different, and so were their leadership styles. Among these characters was Meldorath. The mention of his name paralyzed people from all corners of Voulhire with fear, as he possessed magical powers that he used for evil. The book also introduces lord Eldus, who was a judge before being appointed to become a lord. He was a rational, astute, and respected leader who served his people with pride.

Interestingly, the book starts by introducing the readers to Galen, who was neither a king nor a judge. He was a normal man who came into an inheritance that changed the trajectory of his life. However, his character comes up throughout the book. Where does a commoner fit into the plot of kings? Does the answer to this question even lie within this book? Readers will have to find out for themselves.

While the book does not contain chapters or a typical table of contents, I liked that sections of the book were appropriately partitioned. Enabling readers to follow the chain of events that unfold in the lives of unique characters without confusion or losing the plot. The exceptional editing of the book allowed the different sections to merge flawlessly from one section to the next. The descriptive nature of the book impressed me. As a result, I could vividly imagine the events as they were unfolding.

What I disliked in the book was the death of one character, Lord Eldus. I had high hopes for his character and wished to see it develop. Although the plot of the book is complex and involves many characters, I found the development of the main and the supporting characters to be satisfactory.

Religion played an enormous role in the manner in which citizens led their lives and influenced most of the decisions taken by the characters in the book. The book also contains profanity, minor sexual content, and gruesome acts of violence. Therefore, I recommend it to mature readers and to readers who will not be offended by its religious inferences. I award the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I found the book to be unique and mesmerizing. I cannot wait to read the rest of the books in the series of We are Voulhire.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I don't often read fantasy but I've read so many positive reviews about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies that I decided to give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm glad you liked it too! :)
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Dominik_G wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 05:23 I don't often read fantasy but I've read so many positive reviews about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies that I decided to give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm glad you liked it too! :)
I was also very skeptical at first but am now hooked! I'm currently reading the second book.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Galen must have been a great character! I am also on this book. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”